Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mustard
1043 posts

Re: A Very British Witchcraft
Aug 19, 2013, 11:26
Sanctuary wrote:
tjj wrote:
Reverence for nature exists by itself for many people - who don't need to join or cult, sect or religion to pursue it.

Yep, that's me!

Splitter! ;p
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: A Very British Witchcraft
Aug 19, 2013, 11:33
Mustard wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tjj wrote:
Reverence for nature exists by itself for many people - who don't need to join or cult, sect or religion to pursue it.

Yep, that's me!

Splitter! ;p

:-)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Religion is good for you!
Aug 19, 2013, 11:45
tjj wrote:

Indeed. From what I've seen that probably applies to most people here. But there is a financial downside to revering instead of worshipping, you don't get taxpayer funded free out of hours visits inside Stonehenge in small groups. (Unlike the group that was in there chanting Hail Satan a few weeks ago.)

So clearly we nature lovers should rebrand nature as a deity, Nora, and ask if we can be let into the circle for free to worship Her.
Mustard
1043 posts

Re: Religion is good for you!
Aug 19, 2013, 12:00
nigelswift wrote:
But there is a financial downside to revering instead of worshipping, you don't get taxpayer funded free out of hours visits inside Stonehenge in small groups.

If you want to start down that route again, there's all kinds of people who get free stuff at the taxpayers' expense. Get over it ;)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Aug 19, 2013, 12:07
A Very Australian Witchcraft
Aug 19, 2013, 12:05
Mustard wrote:
...then a desire for peace and harmony probably lay at the bottom of early Christianity, and look how that ended up.

Aye, the good news today though is that,

“The Northern Territory Government is repealing old legislation which makes tarot card reading and witchcraft illegal.

“The Witchcraft Act of 1735 has been inherited from Britain and has since been repealed in most other parts of the Western world. But Northern Territory Attorney-General John Elferink says a legal quirk meant it stayed on the Territory's statute books. He says a year in prison is a pretty stiff punishment for a tarot card reader and has promised to finally repeal the legislation.

"Tammy Hatherill, a tarot card reader and teacher based in Darwin, says readings are popular in the Top End. But she says the practice has a deeper purpose than providing a source of amusement. "Tarot is a healing, because all sorts of information come up in a tarot reading. It's information that people need to know, not necessarily what they want to know," she said. "It allows them then to look back on their lives and start to heal areas in their lives that need the healing." She says many people do not know the Witchcraft Act exists, so getting rid of it will not make much difference.

“Those in witchcraft and pagan circles say they are glad the law is being thrown out.”

More here :-)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: A Very Australian Witchcraft
Aug 19, 2013, 12:12
Littlestone wrote:
Mustard wrote:
...then a desire for peace and harmony probably lay at the bottom of early Christianity, and look how that ended up.

Aye, the good news today though is that,

“The Northern Territory Government is repealing old legislation which makes tarot card reading and witchcraft illegal.

“The Witchcraft Act of 1735 has been inherited from Britain and has since been repealed in most other parts of the Western world. But Northern Territory Attorney-General John Elferink says a legal quirk meant it stayed on the Territory's statute books. He says a year in prison is a pretty stiff punishment for a tarot card reader and has promised to finally repeal the legislation.

"Tammy Hatherill, a tarot card reader and teacher based in Darwin, says readings are popular in the Top End. But she says the practice has a deeper purpose than providing a source of amusement. "Tarot is a healing, because all sorts of information come up in a tarot reading. It's information that people need to know, not necessarily what they want to know," she said. "It allows them then to look back on their lives and start to heal areas in their lives that need the healing." She says many people do not know the Witchcraft Act exists, so getting rid of it will not make much difference.

“Those in witchcraft and pagan circles say they are glad the law is being thrown out.”

More here :-)

Good on ya cobber :-)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 19, 2013, 12:43
Mustard wrote:
If you want to start down that route again, there's all kinds of people who get free stuff at the taxpayers' expense. Get over it ;)

Well I used to think the main free solstice event (sometimes attended only by a couple of dozen Druids according to them) cost £200,000 a year but I've recently found it's over £250,000 a year. So at a time when EH has been made virtually skint and has had to cut down on almost every element of heritage defence (including not fighting damaging planning applications as it can't afford it) I'm not about to "get over it" thanks. Times are tough, it's no good moaning at what EH don't/can't do while saying it's OK that they run one of the world's most expensive free parties inside a world heritage site. One or the other.
Mustard
1043 posts

Aug 19, 2013, 12:46
nigelswift wrote:

Well I used to think the main free solstice event (sometimes attended only by a couple of dozen Druids according to them) cost £200,000 a year but I've recently found it's over £250,000 a year. So at a time when EH has been made virtually skint and has had to cut down on almost every element of heritage defence (including not fighting damaging planning applications as it can't afford it) I'm not about to "get over it" thanks. Times are tough, it's no good moaning at what EH don't/can't do while saying it's OK that they run one of the world's most expensive free parties inside a world heritage site. One or the other.

I can't believe you're banging on about this again. Can you never let an argument go and simply agree to differ? Maybe EH should double the entrance fees for grumpy old men if times are that tough ;)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 19, 2013, 13:01
Agree to differ? I don't recall anyone saying £250K wasn't scandalous. I've only just found the figure out myself. As for the unpleasantness, you win. I'll vacate the thread.
Mustard
1043 posts

Aug 19, 2013, 13:03
nigelswift wrote:
Agree to differ? I don't recall anyone saying £250K wasn't scandalous. I've only just found the figure out myself. As for the unpleasantness, you win. I'll vacate the thread.

I don't think it's remotely scandalous. I'm quite happy to see it spent in that way. There you go - we differ! No need to vacate the thread, Nige. Just stop flogging a dead horse at every mention of the word "pagan" or "Stonehenge".
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index