A Very British Witchcraft

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: Religion is good for you!
Aug 19, 2013, 13:04
Tsk. Nigel. Don't have an opinion. Have you learned nothing? ;)

G x
Mustard
1043 posts

Aug 19, 2013, 13:08
goffik wrote:
Tsk. Nigel. Don't have an opinion. Have you learned nothing? ;)

G x

There's a difference between having an opinion, and shoving it down everyone's throat at every opportunity. I don't give two hoots about Nige holding an opinion, hence the "agreeing to differ" bit. Was that concept too subtle for you?
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Mustard wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

Well I used to think the main free solstice event (sometimes attended only by a couple of dozen Druids according to them) cost £200,000 a year but I've recently found it's over £250,000 a year. So at a time when EH has been made virtually skint and has had to cut down on almost every element of heritage defence (including not fighting damaging planning applications as it can't afford it) I'm not about to "get over it" thanks. Times are tough, it's no good moaning at what EH don't/can't do while saying it's OK that they run one of the world's most expensive free parties inside a world heritage site. One or the other.

I can't believe you're banging on about this again. Can you never let an argument go and simply agree to differ? Maybe EH should double the entrance fees for grumpy old men if times are that tough ;)

LOL
Bugger Stonehenge and all the constant hype and 'yet another new theory'. Get yourselves out to a nice little untouched circle in a moorland setting where you can have time to think alone, not be shoved around, not have to pay and not have to look at a monument that has been played around with and been open to more ideas that you can shake a stick at (whatever that means) :-)
Mustard
1043 posts

Sanctuary wrote:
Mustard wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

Well I used to think the main free solstice event (sometimes attended only by a couple of dozen Druids according to them) cost £200,000 a year but I've recently found it's over £250,000 a year. So at a time when EH has been made virtually skint and has had to cut down on almost every element of heritage defence (including not fighting damaging planning applications as it can't afford it) I'm not about to "get over it" thanks. Times are tough, it's no good moaning at what EH don't/can't do while saying it's OK that they run one of the world's most expensive free parties inside a world heritage site. One or the other.

I can't believe you're banging on about this again. Can you never let an argument go and simply agree to differ? Maybe EH should double the entrance fees for grumpy old men if times are that tough ;)

LOL
Bugger Stonehenge and all the constant hype and 'yet another new theory'. Get yourselves out to a nice little untouched circle in a moorland setting where you can have time to think alone, not be shoved around, not have to pay and not have to look at a monument that has been played around with and been open to more ideas that you can shake a stick at (whatever that means) :-)

Indeed.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: A Very Australian Witchcraft
Aug 19, 2013, 13:39
Tammy Hatherill’s comment, down near the bottom, was insightful I thought. She says, "Tarot is a healing, because all sorts of information come up in a tarot reading. It's information that people need to know, not necessarily what they want to know..." This resonates somewhat with Jung’s preface to the I Ching -

The I Ching insists upon self-knowledge throughout. The method by which this is to be achieved is open to every kind of misuse, and is therefore not for the frivolous-minded and immature; nor is it for intellectualists and rationalists. It is appropriate only for thoughtful and reflective people who like to think about what they do and what happens to them...

In the exploration of the unconscious we come upon very strange things, from which a rationalist turns away with horror, claiming afterward that he did not see anything. The irrational fullness of life has taught me never to discard anything, even when it goes against all our theories (so short-lived at best) or otherwise admits of no immediate explanation. It is of course disquieting, and one is not certain whether the compass is pointing true or not; but security, certitude, and peace do not lead to discoveries.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 19, 2013, 13:41
Mustard wrote:
Maybe EH should double the entrance fees for grumpy old men if times are that tough ;)

And the smiley lends deniability does it?

How horrible.
Mustard
1043 posts

Aug 19, 2013, 13:46
nigelswift wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Maybe EH should double the entrance fees for grumpy old men if times are that tough ;)

And the smiley lends deniability does it?

How horrible.

Deniability to what, exactly? I don't remember denying anything. Were you accusing me of something that I'm supposed to be denying?
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Aug 19, 2013, 13:52
nigelswift wrote:
tjj wrote:
Reverence for nature exists by itself for many people - who don't need to join or cult, sect or religion to pursue it.

Indeed. From what I've seen that probably applies to most people here. But there is a financial downside to revering instead of worshipping, you don't get taxpayer funded free out of hours visits inside Stonehenge in small groups. (Unlike the group that was in there chanting Hail Satan a few weeks ago.)

So clearly we nature lovers should rebrand nature as a deity, Nora, and ask if we can be let into the circle for free to worship Her.

Good point Nigel ... quite like the name Nora. Alternatively, could just go somewhere quieter. Walked up to the Ridgeway from Bishopstone yesterday - within minutes saw several Clouded Yellow and Chalkhill Blue butterflies, a pair of kestrels and a red kite. The sun was shining (not too hot) and there was a fresh breeze. Nora is a good old girl.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 19, 2013, 14:01
I suppose I ought to admit it, I suggested Nora as that's my sister's name and I'd just love for it to catch on and tell her she'd inspired a new movement.

It does roll off the tongue, doesn't it? When I were a lad and barmy about butterflies I'd have killed to see a Clouded Yellow or a Chalkhill Blue. Still would.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Aug 19, 2013, 14:05
nigelswift wrote:
I suppose I ought to admit it, I suggested Nora as that's my sister's name and I'd just love for it to catch on and tell her she'd inspired a new movement.

It does roll off the tongue, doesn't it? When I were a lad and barmy about butterflies I'd have killed to see a Clouded Yellow or a Chalkhill Blue. Still would.

'Nora' it is then. A good year for Clouded Yellows - saw my very first one ever on Barbury Castle last weekend. Apparently they migrate over from France. Remarkable!
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index