A Very British Witchcraft

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mustard
1043 posts

Re: A Very British Witchcraft
Aug 27, 2013, 10:06
tjj wrote:
I'm sure AC doesn't want me defending him like I'm his over protective aunt or something but he does add a different perspective to discussions - as Bladup did in his time here, and to discourage 'alternative' view points make this forum a poorer place (in my opinion for what it's worth).

I totally agree. And if those points of view are presented as points of view and not facts, then we'll all get along just fine ;)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 27, 2013, 10:07
tjj wrote:
I accept AC's statement that some people have had personal experience of 'magic' in there lives.

But I didn't say they didn't. I simply disputed the quite separate statement that "proof or not is down to personal experience". It ain't, IMO and I guess I'm entitled to say so, it being a public forum and all.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 27, 2013, 10:10
Mustard wrote:
if those points of view are presented as points of view and not facts, then we'll all get along just fine ;)

Quite!
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Aug 27, 2013, 10:38
Mustard wrote:
tjj wrote:
I'm sure AC doesn't want me defending him like I'm his over protective aunt or something but he does add a different perspective to discussions - as Bladup did in his time here, and to discourage 'alternative' view points make this forum a poorer place (in my opinion for what it's worth).

I totally agree. And if those points of view are presented as points of view and not facts, then we'll all get along just fine ;)

100% agree
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Aug 27, 2013, 12:49
nigelswift wrote:
Oh, and while I'm at it, you shouldn't kid yourself or anyone else that Hutton is sympathetic to the view that there's any efficacy in magic -

Astralcat wrote:
as for the efficacy of magic ? Ronald Hutton himself is respectful and sympathetic these days as a result of his studies.

He might be sympathetic to Wiccans but he actually describes Wicca as formed by modern people to express modern myth, which is the exact opposite of believing in magic.

I have not said otherwise, as you well know re. Wicca. I have read a comment from him that the extent of his research has made him more inclined to think that 'magic' may indeed work in some respects. He is sympathetic to this possibility in a manner that he was not previously.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 27, 2013, 13:22
"I have read a comment from him that the extent of his research has made him more inclined to think that 'magic' may indeed work in some respects."

OK. I'm surprised. Can you give a link to it?
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Aug 27, 2013, 13:44
nigelswift wrote:
tjj wrote:
I accept AC's statement that some people have had personal experience of 'magic' in their lives.

But I didn't say they didn't. I simply disputed the quite separate statement that "proof or not is down to personal experience". It ain't, IMO and I guess I'm entitled to say so, it being a public forum and all.

OK!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 27, 2013, 13:56
tjj wrote:

I think this has been clarified by a number of people a number of times recently. Stating beliefs as fact without offering any justification is the only issue. If suggesting that's best not done is "discouraging alternative viewpoints" then so be it, most people are guilty.

As for people that got sacked from here I can't think of anyone that didn't deserve it but you could always ask the Eds if they think otherwise.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Aug 27, 2013, 14:13
Aug 27, 2013, 14:12
nigelswift wrote:
tjj wrote:

I think this has been clarified by a number of people a number of times recently. Stating beliefs as fact without offering any justification is the only issue. If suggesting that's best not done is "discouraging alternative viewpoints" then so be it, most people are guilty.

As for people that got sacked from here I can't think of anyone that didn't deserve it but you could always ask the Eds if they think otherwise.

Why would I want to involve the Eds in this discussion? Why are you being so confrontational? Why I am bothering to answer this nonsense ... you tell me Nigel. You seem to have the answer to everything.
Over and out ... not slinking off, will be back - but sensible things to do now.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Aug 27, 2013, 14:27
nigelswift wrote:
"I have read a comment from him that the extent of his research has made him more inclined to think that 'magic' may indeed work in some respects."

OK. I'm surprised. Can you give a link to it?

It's in one of my various books on the subject. I was pleasantly suprised myself, but no I don't have a link so you'll have to accept my integrity on this one. He wasn't saying he was a full on card carrying believer, but certainly suggesting that the was something more going on here he'd that he'd previously assumed. Being a professional academic he had to choose his words diligently of course.
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index