The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Trethevy Quoit »
Who's going to be there this weekend?

159 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Who's going to be there this weekend?
May 02, 2011, 11:34
Resonox wrote:
A tomb AND astral observatory....are the two exclusive to one and other?....I don't know the beliefs of our forefathers(I do like to believe they had a wide enough intelligence to absorb and put patterns to the skies for their own edification and education) perhaps an afterlife was deemed accessible through the movement of the stars, maybe not...but it is a concept that has endured and been absorbed into many of today's known religions and even some extinct(known)religions. Does the application of today's knowledge prove or disprove any theories about the purpose of ancient monuments? I for one wouldn't dare to guess...just out of interest...a local radio station was asking listeners to call in with their suggestions of what they would do if they had access to the Tardis for a day...amongst the usual.."Go back to see England win the World Cup in '66" contributions...one listener actually said he would go back to see Stonehenge being erected to find out both how and why....an excellent idea IMO...though I doubt football fans would agree!
Sorry if I'm repeating another post..but theres an awful lot on this topic to try to plough through!

I have always assumed, based on how I interpreted things, that our great ancestors went from a downright practical way of life to a more 'fanciful' way of thinking i.e. a belief in an Afterlife. This seems to me to have appeared more toward the middle to end of the Neolithic so Trethevy could just slot right in there although accurate dating of the site is sketchy to say the least!

Yes the old Time Machine that crops up periodically and always offers us the opportunity for light relief. I thought one of the best answers we had was (hands up who said it) one on Silbury Hill where the poster said he/she would like to go back to the day after it was completed and sit on Waden Hill to see what they did with it!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index