The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Trethevy Quoit »
Who's going to be there this weekend?

159 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Who's going to be there this weekend?
Apr 24, 2011, 10:52
stonefree wrote:
I'm hoping to be there on Sunday afternoon with Dave Kane, perhaps on Monday as well. We're not tech savvy enough to be able to keep you all updated via mobile web devices, but we'll be spending plenty of time there!

Looking forward to meeting whoever turns up :)

Just come back from the quoit on this Easter Sunday morning. Was there at 8.30 and left at 10.30 I'm afraid as I have other family and work things to do so won't see anyone there today. Cracking morning again although a little bit chilly first thing. It was 'fine' measuring and 'detail' day today which found me at times lying on the floor with Chief licking my face whilst I was looking upwards. Not a pleasant experience (the licking) after he'd been around picking up all the rubbish he could find!
For those who have not visited the site you have plenty of time to have a really good poke around as it's rarely visited by outsiders compared to many other sites so you don't get interrupted too often. I actually much prefer my thoughts to myself when taking details as I can't abide being distracted from what I am doing.
Something I noticed was a little worrying and I'm not sure what I should do about it (your thoughts MrH?). Last year I measured the distance the front closure stone was out of the perpendicular (it leans outward to the east) and checked it again today to find it has moved a further 1/2". That doesn't sound much but it is now some 20" off the perpendicular of a 10' - 3" height from ground level and being pushed out by the capstone it would seem, although, on saying that, there is no noticeable gap appearing on the 'heel' of the north west rear side stone which is angled to the pitch of the capstone and supports it. I noticed that between it and the eastern station stone which leans into it but is totally free standing, someone has lodged a granite boulder, presumably to offer it some support!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index