Stone Shifting 2

161 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: 3.1415926538 in the sky
Sep 01, 2003, 12:28
How about taking 2 days? Day 1 we move the stones. Day 2 we put them up. If we could move them up a hill that would be an even better demonstration. Snag is, I don't think there are any hills on Salisbury Plain.

I think we should first have a go at rowing the 10 ton stone that Gordon is acquiring and just see how far we can move it in an hour and also get an idea of whether we could keep up the effort for a longer period of time. If that is successful, maybe we could get a 40 tonner to move around in Derby (there not short of hills there). I'm sure we could persuade a local or even national TV film crew to cover the event. When the time comes for the big one, we can do some more stone rowing at Salisbury, but the TV people can splice-in some of the earlier footage to show how we can take a big stone up hills.

If we need helpers my step-son is at Derby University and reckoned he could get some of the rugby team to volunteer for duty in exchange for a free booze-up at the end.

I have some leads for possible sponsorship, but I don't want to go in "half-cocked". I'd like to be able to send them a video tape with some impressive stuff on it. Rowing and successfully erecting a 10 tonner would be pretty good amunition. Rowing a 40 tonner up a hill ought to clinch the deal.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index