Stone Shifting 2

161 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
baza
baza
1308 posts

Pi in the sky
Aug 31, 2003, 17:44
I have been bemused by the way that that this thread has evolved.

You`re busy trying to work out the details of swinging a 40 ton stone, perched on a flimsy platform above the ground, when we haven`t even moved (never mind lifted) such a stone as far as one inch!

Don`t get me wrong, I believe that it *can* be done, but *certainly not* in one day, and with resources that are far beyond our means, at present.

As far as I can see, a 4 ton stone has been moved a short distance on a *prepared surface* and been raised 4 feet onto pallets. We`ll need a hell of a lot more practical experience than that to be able to decide what`s required to shift a 40 ton stone.

I reckon that a flimsy, unsafe tower, 12 feet high, would require a minimum of 72 logs of 1 foot diameter, over one third of which would be about 30 feet long (and that`s assuming that the logs can carry the weight). As for a platform for the `oarsmen`, it seems that we`re going to cheat by hiring some scaffolding.

I`ll try not to mention this again, but you should settle for moving a 40 ton stone over Salisbury Plain, an enormous task, first. If you can do that, you`ll get the funding for tackling the far more difficult and expensive problem of raising a trilithon.

Anyway, the sooner we get a small team together to actually get some practise in shifting stones about, the better.

:o)

baz
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index