Stonehenge »
Stone Shifting 2

161 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Stone Shifting 2
Aug 27, 2003, 08:47
Gordon, you mentioned that excavations showed the holes had 3 straight sides and one sloping one at about 45 degrees. I can’t find much about the holes – do you have any links? I’m not sure how you’re thinking how the sloping side might have worked (eg. in your model, is it what the stone hits, on the left, or is it to give the stone clearance to pivot, on the right?. Alternatively, in some theories they manoeuvred the stone down the slope so it was tilted, and then pulled it upright).

On the same theme, the uprights are in pairs, one smooth and one rough, and people have suggested it’s male/female representation. But I’ve seen a photo of one of them that is very obviously very smooth on one side and very rough on the other, which would be very strange symbolism. So I’m wondering (only a thought for the sake of completeness) if the sliding action that we’re trying to avoid might have been actually what they were trying to achieve, and if the pairing arose from putting the stones in from different sides.

I’ve been going cross-eyed trying to work out if there are any others that are smooth on one side and rough on the other. Does anyone know? (I bet you do, Jim). Also, does anyone know of any excavation plans that would show the positions of the sloping sides of each stone hole? I can’t help feeling there must be a clue to their method still there.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index