Stone Shifting 2

161 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: Pi in the sky
Aug 31, 2003, 20:48
> I reckon that a flimsy, unsafe tower, 12 feet high, would require a minimum of 72 logs of 1 foot diameter, over one third of which would be about 30 feet long (and that`s assuming that the logs can carry the weight). As for a platform for the `oarsmen`, it seems that we`re going to cheat by hiring some scaffolding.

We are not planning to build a flimsy, unsafe tower. There will be two independent towers, so most of the logs will be only 15' or so. The bedrock is chalk which should provide a good, stable footing. The logs will probably be of the order of 6". The weight is carried primarily at the points of intersection of the logs and the compressive strength of timber is well up to the task. It is my intention that the towers will be braced to the ground with diagonal timber shoring every 4 feet or so, and that the support logs will be dowelled together in the layer where these shores are attached. The sheer weight acting at the intersections will provide sufficient friction to hold the other layers together. It is not my intention to "cheat" as you put it. I suggested only that we *might have to* use scaffolding towers to comply with health and safety regulations. I think that elevating a 40 ton stone on logs is sufficient proof without also having to demonstrate that we could lift 40 people on log platforms, but if health and safety issues can be resolved, then I'm all for being as authentic as possible, if only to thwart the critics.

> I`ll try not to mention this again, but you should settle for moving a 40 ton stone over Salisbury Plain, an enormous task, first. If you can do that, you`ll get the funding for tackling the far more difficult and expensive problem of raising a trilithon.

I agree that this would be a good precursor to the main event. We should see how far we can row it in a day. Rowing it a few feet would not be very convincing, but a whole day with the same team would give a much more realistic measure of how good the method really is.

> Anyway, the sooner we get a small team together to actually get some practise in shifting stones about, the better.

OK, baz, looks like we have four or five volunteers so far, how many more from this thread can we count on? We need 10 to row the 10 tonner that Gordon is lining up at Derby.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index