The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stonehenge »
Stone Shifting 2

161 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: Do we Eliminate Slippage or Live with it?
Aug 30, 2003, 12:34
I typed a long reply to your posting, Nigel. Then I clicked "Post Message" and it disappeared into oblivion. I will try to summarise what I said:

Originally I thought the pivot log would work like an axle, but your idea of notched logs strapped to the back of the block is probably better. The pivot log could be fixed and the notches rotate around it until they reach some angle at which they slip off.

I also mentioned the unfinished obelisk at Aswan which was abandoned because it cracked while being quarried. The Egyptians were obviously confident that they could erect this 1100 ton stick of granite otherwise they would not have gone to all the trouble of quarrying it. Several attempts have been made to raise obelisks and one that I saw on TV some years ago used a pivot log lashed to the stone. The attempt was almost a disaster since the log slid on its track as well as rolling. Also, as the stone pivots, its centre of gravity moves beyond the pivot point and makes the descent much more difficult to control.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that we should keep things simple and just allow for slippage.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index