IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 23, 2008, 17:07
Re: It's KISS mocking time again
Apr 23, 2008, 16:26
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:
[quote="keith a"]

I would be glad to never hear another Roy Thomas Baker, Steve Lillywhite or Trevor Horn record. The men who took the rock out of rock.

Anyway I digress.

In that case, as someone who hates the term 'rock' and most of the music classed as such, I think they should be commended.

Give me Relax, Hand Held In Black & White or Poison Arrow over 'rock music' anyday. Three records that make virtually all these post Zep acts redundant. Horn was looking forward when he made those records, unlike all Kiss and all those other backwards looking mofos.

Cough. Splutter. Post Zep acts? Kiss and VH were post Sweet not post Zep. Which is ironic cos The Sweet wanted to be Deep Purple.

"Poison Arrow" was alright. Wouldn't be sorry never to hear it again but it was ok. I did have a big soft spot for "Tears Are Not Enough" though it's not funny the way "Fourth Drawer Down" is funny.

When Frankie were first on The Tube they came off like a male disco version of the Au Pairs and I was thinking "this is kind of interesting and will wind people up" but I was really disappointed by the record when it finally came out and couldn't figure out what speed to play the 12" at as it had no vocals on it. It sounded shit both ways sp I settled on 45 in the end as it was over quicker.

The "Two Tribes / War" single was great though.

As for Dollar at least their brush with fame freed up a space behind the counter at Boots. No small thing back in the era of 3m unemployed. They were better than Theatre of Hate I suppose.

Anyway I think that all this proves is that we have fairly predictable musical sensibiltiies that are products of our respective musical upbringings.

Best leave it there before Jimmy Page gets all Crowley on your ass.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index