Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Listen 2 The Doors???
Apr 21, 2008, 20:33
Popel Vooje wrote:
[
He did make, or at least participate in, some great records (in addditioon to the first two albums, I'd say "Morrison Hotel and "L.A Woman"), although I think the rest of the band (and Robbie Krieger in particular) probably shaped ther music much more than they're given credit for. I just wouldn't have wanted to have been in a band with him!

Definitely. I think they're pretty exemplary players myself. krieger's flamenco influenced guitar playing, & the jazz influences (among other stuff) on the other 2. Listening to them live you get to hear what they're like. Actually listening to the full length Light My Fire is pretty great.
I think the 2 lps most readily dismissed have some really great playing on too. Waiting For The Sun which was a mopping up of material from several points but I think recorded around the same time & Soft Parade which has the added horns and strings. But the band sound pretty good.
I like the harpsichord etc on Soft Parade. it was the first of the recent reissues that I actually went out to buy. Waiting For The Sun turned up in a sale so I grabbed it. Haven't got around to the others yet. Had pretty recently bought the previous versions though. Wonder if I'm missing much.
Have picked up bits of them live but not that much. A lot of '70 turns up on the torrent sites & quite a few people think that's them playing at their best. I think I prefer the earlier stuff though Riders On The Storm struck me for years as the 'perfect' recording. Just the way the elements dovetailed. & I think that dovetailing aspect is what makes them special, certainly on Light My Fire.
The idea of the improvisatory band that moved as one with the poet as lead singer is the mythos of the Doors isn't it? I think it's true in a large number of places, especially live.
reading MOrrison's poetry without the music doesn't make it look the best.
Stevo
Np Magma Poitiers 74 MDK
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index