Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 24 September 2016 CE

48 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 24 September 2016 CE
Sep 25, 2016, 20:09
Did some research on artists I'd not heard of who are playing at the forthcoming TUSK festival in Gateshead and bought a few download albums from two artists:

GAS - Nah und Fern: A collection of 4 late 90s albums by GAS (Wolfgang Voigt - who is doing a Saturday lunchtime set with a visual artist at TUSK). Minimalist techno inspired by woods outside Cologne. I've just focused on the albums Zauberberg and Koenigsforst so far out of the 4. Loving it so far - ambient techno with Wagner samples. Perfect soundtrack to Anselm Kiefer (one of my favourite artists).

Skull Mask - a Mexican guitarist, like (early period) Six Organs... or Sir Richard Bishop. Desert, sun drenched acid acoustic guitar stuff. Mainly self-released by the looks of things. So far really enjoyed the shorter track albums Sahumerio and Sunburn - check out his bandcamp page. He's headlining on the Friday and involved in other fringe events on the Sat. Looking forward to it.

Otherwise:

Khunnt - Failures. Wasn't sure whether I should get this so went for D/L rather than LP but one of my favourites of the year. Repetitive and heavy and awesome!

Nick Cave - Skeleton Tree. Some really good material here as usual.

KETEV - I Know No Weekend. Written about this for weeks now. A highlight of the year so far.

Nudity - ...is God's Creation. Another one I wasn't sure about. Knew I'd like it but did I need it! Disc 1 in particular is great (Disc 2 less focused), and the track Moon Druids is one of my fave 3 minute rock songs ever. So yes it turns out it was essential!

Aria Rostami and Daniel Blomquist - Wandering Eye. Another long standing fave of the last few months - released on the excellent Glacial Movements label.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index