Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 24 September 2016 CE

48 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 24 September 2016 CE
Sep 25, 2016, 18:46
Black Sabbath – Sabbath Bloody Sabbath it’s Sabbath, nuff said

Ted Nugent – Free For All with Meatloaf , post peak Nugent, the rot is setting in but boy he can spank that plank

Junkyard – S/T someone hoped that these would be the Skynyrd yin to GnRs Aerosmith yang or something but it was not to be, some nice tunes and guitars here, really enjoyed this, will now go back on the shelf for 28 months probably

Dio – Holy Diver \m/ in extremis, not in a faceflayingbatteryourskullIlikeskullsnstuff way, just completely \m/ and all the better for it. Like all the best HM singers Dio sings complete nonsense but you believe it 100%. I’ve certainly avoided talking to strangers since I listened to this

Red Guitars – Tales of the Expected 80’s shoulda been huge but fell out with each other, the debut was way better than Stone Roses and this pisses all over The Second Coming but only one band would fill a stadium if they reformed , stupid punters

Black tempest – Darkness Unfolding, Enfolding Light this rather good as I’m sure everyone here knows, if you don’t correct your ignorance forthwith

Crystal Jaqueline – Sun Arise new psychedelia [same as the old psychedelia] I suppose this isn’t cutting edge but unlike new prog which seems to revel in the tricksiness of it all this has some decent tunes bolted onto the tasteful guitar solos and appealing female vox, plus a Gordon Lightfoot cover [I’m banking on the Gordon Lightfoot renaissance in 2017 to show how ahead of the cutting edge I am, you read it hear first folks]

Judas Priest – Nostradamus, Stained Class, Killing Machine, Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin one of the inventors of proper metal as opposed to souped up mega amped blooze, suitably operatic vocals, twin guitars, widdlywiddly bits, big crunching riffs, double concept album, gay singer, dry ice, flying pigs, motorbikes on stage, songs about demonic vultures [yes all the boxes ticked carry on]

Yes – Going For The One, Keys to Ascension turbo nutter Yes , designed to impress Stadiums, Going For The One is immense and Keys to Ascension isn’t far behind. Not subtle maybe but still damn impressive and in parts absolutely lovely

Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine – Rampton lovely is not a label often applied to TOLRTD , not quite as vicious as Khanate, considerably slower than Cathedral, and home to the best Killdozer cover ever

Melting Hand – High Collider
Blown Out – New Cruiser
Haikai No Ku – Sick On My Journey Mike Vest slays on all of these, Melting Hand & Blown Out still vying for 2016 album topspot

The Scientists – A Place Called Bad aussie swamp rockers, falling between The Birthday Party & The Hoodoo Gurus, searing primal stuff, they certainly weren’t INXS nice to fill in the gaps in my vinyl collection, not sure what was in the water on that side of the globe in the 80s but it was 100% good

Cramps - Off the Bone, greatest compilation album ever, I think so

The Girl with All the Gifts saw this at the pictures last night, if you can possibly see it without any prior knowledge as I did you’re in for a treat, even if you do have some idea of what’s going on it’s still great, film of the year for me [so far, not that hard as I’m not a great cinema goer]
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index