Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 24, 2015, 09:49
Re: Citizen Cain'd
Apr 24, 2015, 09:08
That is totally true. Seemed to me that each release compounded the lack of traction achieved by its predecessor. Artists can't just decide to be culturally relevant. On the one hand the music critics of today have zero interest in the political for the most part and activists seem to gravitate to sub cultural electronica stuff where "name" artists and singer songwriters have no relevance. Doubt much Black Sheep stuff reached beyond the hard core Cope-o-phile And 6 Music listener.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Apr 24, 2015, 10:18
Apr 24, 2015, 10:12
I think I talked about this before, and Dark Orgasm. Amazing things. Very Stooges, but that's OK.
phallus dei
583 posts

Apr 24, 2015, 13:20
IanB wrote:
That is totally true. Seemed to me that each release compounded the lack of traction achieved by its predecessor. Artists can't just decide to be culturally relevant. On the one hand the music critics of today have zero interest in the political for the most part and activists seem to gravitate to sub cultural electronica stuff where "name" artists and singer songwriters have no relevance. Doubt much Black Sheep stuff reached beyond the hard core Cope-o-phile And 6 Music listener.

Agree that the Black Sheep stuff probably never reached beyond Cope's already established audience, but I don't think that detracts from the overall quality of the project, which I found to be quite high. KMSA was, and remains, my favorite post-Interpreter Cope release. That was really solid all the way through (at least in the CD version). And Unruly Imagination was fantastic, too, kind of like a politicized version of Skellington. Personally, I saw the political ethos of Black Sheep as the logical culmination of themes he developed in Autogeddon. So for me, the Black Sheep era was more a return to form than an unnecessary detour.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 24, 2015, 15:04
I'm fond of Citizen Cain'd and have found something to enjoy in all the stuff since then, though a lot of it I have to be in the mood for, whereas with something like "Peggy", hit play and I'm there.

I thought "Revolutionary Suicide" was a pleasingly strong album, some of it great. Bit of a relief after the patchy "Psychedelic Revolution". It was nice you could buy it in a shop too!
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Apr 24, 2015, 15:44
Moon Cat wrote:
I'm fond of Citizen Cain'd and have found something to enjoy in all the stuff since then, though a lot of it I have to be in the mood for, whereas with something like "Peggy", hit play and I'm there.

I thought "Revolutionary Suicide" was a pleasingly strong album, some of it great. Bit of a relief after the patchy "Psychedelic Revolution". It was nice you could buy it in a shop too!

I've always, mostly, found something to enjoy in the albums since. Was listening to Peggy the other day actually, which get me giving CC another spin while in work. But yeah a lot of it I have to be in the mood for. Not sure if this approach was intentional all those years ago while moving only to HH releases but it's certainly a lot less commercial, and even with a compilation release I can't see it bringing any new followers into the Copey fold, so to speak. I probably enjoy about 50% of stuff nowadays, which does make me feel a bit sad when I used to look forward to an album being released and play it relentlessly. Such is life I suppose
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Apr 24, 2015, 15:46
I never brought KMSA as at that time I wasn't exactly enamoured with listening to Cope. The whole Black Sheep revolutionary thing has never really left me convinced.
keith a
9576 posts

Apr 24, 2015, 20:02
I have enjoyed most of his post-2000 albums more when I have gone back to them a little later
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Nov 09, 2015, 16:15
Apr 24, 2015, 20:41
Captain Starlet wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:

I've always, mostly, found something to enjoy in the albums since. Was listening to Peggy the other day actually, which get me giving CC another spin while in work. But yeah a lot of it I have to be in the mood for. Not sure if this approach was intentional all those years ago while moving only to HH releases but it's certainly a lot less commercial, and even with a compilation release I can't see it bringing any new followers into the Copey fold, so to speak. I probably enjoy about 50% of stuff nowadays, which does make me feel a bit sad when I used to look forward to an album being released and play it relentlessly. Such is life I suppose

So what the fuck else do you listen to then???!!! I get a bit annoyed, as I have instruments all over my house, and I play them!
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Apr 25, 2015, 10:38
Maybe that's the trick? Get them, listen once or twice and leave them for a few years?
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 25, 2015, 13:06
Captain Starlet wrote:
Maybe that's the trick? Get them, listen once or twice and leave them for a few years?

Tory policy to the electorate,

Mynameisbeneltongoodnight
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index