Citizen Cain'd

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Re: Citizen Cain'd
Apr 26, 2015, 17:21
Can't see how much it was engaging with the masses when the busking tour saw them playing in cropped fields in the middle of nowhere. The whole concept for me just rang hollow, as does the whole 'revolution' thing. Hardly anyone knows who he is anymore and less people care about what he's doing now, rather prefer the older days. The handful of people who went to the gigs were most probably the more die hard fans and a spattering of others who fancied a bit of a break during the day. And what happened to the Black Sheep film that was supposed to come out?

For me the whole thing was a flash in the pan idea that Cope quickly lost interest in n the whole a complete failure.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1704 posts

Apr 26, 2015, 23:35
Captain Starlet wrote:
Can't see how much it was engaging with the masses when the busking tour saw them playing in cropped fields in the middle of nowhere. The whole concept for me just rang hollow, as does the whole 'revolution' thing. Hardly anyone knows who he is anymore and less people care about what he's doing now, rather prefer the older days. The handful of people who went to the gigs were most probably the more die hard fans and a spattering of others who fancied a bit of a break during the day. And what happened to the Black Sheep film that was supposed to come out?

For me the whole thing was a flash in the pan idea that Cope quickly lost interest in n the whole a complete failure.

I don't think it really matters if his older audience likes his newer stuff (or the reverse), he's just going to keep making what he wants anyway, it's clearly not being done for a target market (small or large). Frankly, I don't like anything from before Peggy, and could care less about his pop "heyday". I just want him to keep following his own path, and if I choose to listen, I'll be rewarded. Not everything has to be the greatest thing ever done.

Fuck me, if Bruce Springsteen decided to do a busking tour, I think I'd pay attention, even if I could give a shit about any of his songs.

As far as Citizen Cain'd goes, I didn't like it at first, but through repeated listens, I now love it, though maybe not every song. I find myself re-appraising music all the time, and I am suspicious of music I instantly love.....not because all good music has to be difficult, but like human relationships, I hold dear those that have grown over time, quite the opposite of some smiling idiot who makes me laugh.
phallus dei
583 posts

Edited Apr 27, 2015, 17:15
Apr 27, 2015, 17:13
Captain Starlet wrote:

Yeah, I wish he had made the film, too.... But if I recall, correctly, Cope and Co. were also talking about a Brain Donor film back in the early 2000's that never saw the light of day, either. Cope's obviously quite flighty with his ideas, doing what inspires him for the moment and then quickly jettisoning it when he looses interest, even if the idea he had been working on still has potential for more development. And he hasn't really been making music for his established fan-base since what, 1989? He's basically been making music for himself since then, and the fans that he has are ones who can appreciate the sudden twists 'n turns in his output.

For me, the Black Sheep era was a particularly energized, stylistically and conceptually consistent episode in Cope's career. Could it have been done better? Of course. But judged within the parameters of Cope's output, particularly after '96 when he ditched "real" record labels entirely, I find the Black Sheep era to be quite impressive.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Nov 09, 2015, 13:23
Squid Tempest wrote:
laresident wrote:
I for one would quite enjoy an album of a beery Julian doing Nordic drinking songs.

It sounds kind of appealing, doesn't it?

'And there’s still music to contend with, as Cope reveals he is writing a drinking song cycle. One of the songs, he reveals, takes place in Liverpool; another is located in the Outer Hebrides. Three, he says, are Irish-related.

“One of the Irish songs is called Clonakilty as Charged. Based on my recently upgraded visionary drinking habits, it’s a righteously singalong tune. Mind you, they’re all very catchy.”'

LYRIC SHEET: CLONAKILTY AS CHARGED

So, abandoned at Bandon,
I made for Seven Heads,
On the road to Rosscarbery,
Wanting only my bed,

I was drunken and stupid,
Till I saw with a smile
That the arrow of Cupid
Said: ‘Clonakilty 1 mile’

Never ask a policeman,
Where the locals brew best,
For he’ll only detain you,
And hand to you a breath test,

If you tell them it’s butter,
They’ll insist that it’s marge,
If you backsass policemen,
You’re Clonakilty as charged.

Chorus

Clonakilty as charged, m’Lud,
Clonakilty as charged.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/beckett-on-a-bender-julian-cope-s-debut-novel-has-landed-1.1862148
keith a
9576 posts

Nov 10, 2015, 22:06
IanB wrote:

I dunno how much engaging the masses actually happened. The masses haven't had a clue who Cope is for about 25 years so it's only going to connect if it is really well done and/or you have fantastic tunes.

That said there's a lot of people into Cope who would still have been in primary school at that time. OK, my son might have been brainwashed during his impressionable years, but I'm not sure all the others were! ;)
keith a
9576 posts

Nov 10, 2015, 22:09
Captain Starlet wrote:

I couldn't care less whether Cope was engaging with the masses on the busking tour. The Liverpool appearance was one of the best 20 minutes of my life!
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Busking tour
Nov 11, 2015, 12:28
I agree, was at a pretty pivotal point in my life and Kingstanding persuaded me I'd made a lot of big decisions for the right reasons. It also got me back on here and I've made a lot of really good real friends from that.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index