Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 28 March 2015 CE

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 28 March 2015 CE
Mar 29, 2015, 16:55
Led Zeppelin – Physical Graffitti not sure if it’s the remastering or just the fact that I haven’t really listened to PG with any depth in a while but the new reissue is fantastic sounding

Crazyhead – Desert Orchid double Cd picked up cheap from Amazon, fairly fizzes along, even better than I remembered

Mountain – Flowers of Evil,Twin Peaks

Boris – Feedbacker, Heavy Rocks [orange version] all that’s good & bad about Boris is reflected in the fact that you need to qualify which version of Heavy Rocks you are listening to. Cracking music though, Heavy Rocks is aptly named as it RAWKS mightily, and Feedbacker is a mighty beast also

Blown Out – Jet Black Hallucinations fine new release from the M Vest camp, D/L only at the moment due to pressing problems, first listen has it up to the usual high standards, spaced out pysch heaviness deluxe

Dr Feelgood – All Through The City the Wilko years , if you’ve heard this you know how good it is, if you haven’t rectify that immediately Dr Feelgood are one of the few bands I could feel happy recommending to everyone

Diamond Head – S/t nwobhm classic

Humble Pie – Rockin’ The Fillmore 4cds of deservedly legendry live shows, does exactly what it says on the tin

Rory Gallagher – Irish Tour 74, 6cds this time, even better than Humble Pie

Nazareth – S/t,Exercises Salvo 2fer disc, shows the many sides of the Naz

John Luther Adams – The Wind In High Places not sure where modern classical ends and new age ambient starts but this skirts around the borders of both , possibly with potential film score thrown in

Gaye Bykers On Acid – Live 87 certainly sounds like happy ,greasy and drugged up can’t complain then, also has lots of guitars which can only be good [can’t it]

Free Bandcamp list
Groan – very NWOBHM influenced, lots of songs about Wizards [usually on drugs] great but no ground is broken, actually this applies to almost all free bandcamp stuff, originality usually takes a second place to whatever style is required, thanks to mooncat for the tip on Groan
http://groan.bandcamp.com/

Pyramidion – VU meets jam band, well good
http://pyramidion.bandcamp.com/

Ice Dragon – sounds like someone can’t make his mind up if he wants to be Blue Cheer or the Beatles so does both at the same time, all over the shop but in a good way, I bet these guys have a shit hot record collection
https://icedragon.bandcamp.com/

Ruby The Hatchet – more heavy pysch, a bit grim Mazzy Star, nice
http://thehatchet.bandcamp.com/

Death Hound – want to be Electric Wizard, let down by pointless growled vox which is a shame as the music is better and more varied than many of the wizard clones out there
https://deathhound.bandcamp.com/releases
Monganaut
Monganaut
2383 posts

Mar 29, 2015, 17:06
Not listened to lot this week, spent a pleasant 5 days mooching around Dawlish/ Devon and environs.

Francis Bebey - Psychedelic Sanza 1982-1984
Stumbled across this in a charity shop in Exeter. Beautiful African thumb piano and instrumentation lovelyness. Seriously chilled and funky at the same time. played it all week really.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy_C3XiH6O8&list=PLwOeeAAuJkW6Au5RGnF02Rgz8mHBHBnLt

Low Frequency In Stereo - Futura
Not played this in ages. Kinda like a more motorik/rhythmic version of The American Analogue Set, good stuff.
Solar System - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk2UZjSXnUc
Astro Kopp - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PB3GNlV4lA

Rest has been stuff on walkman shuffle. Has thrown up some groovy sequences that's fer sure.

Holiday reading was...

Simon Napier Bells 'Black Vinyl/White Powder'.
Wow! the first few chapters (birth of rock n roll/ 50's) are quite shockinging in the blatant exploitation/grooming of working class youth by their public schoolboy managers and racoteurs. Hell, Lional Bart and Larry Parnes take the desription 'preditory' to a whole new level with their behavior to their consorts. Makes perfect sense reading this how the behaviour of people like Jimmy Saville came to be almost accepted amongst people in the entertainment system up through the 50's,60's and 70's. The class system was in full effect, where artists were treated as something to be tolerated cos' they made the money, and thought of as rather unsavoury, much as actors were in the vaudelville days. Dunno how true this is, but for 'Rock Island Line', Lonnie Donegan was allegedly payed the princeley sume of £3.50, his session fee, nothing else.
Gets a little less intersting the further it goes, but worth a look, if only for those shocking first few chapters. Backs up what I already surmised a long time ago, managers, agents and Labels are just parasites. Also lays bare the blatent chart rigging that went on from the very start.

Other Book - Sympathy For The Devil - Brian Jones biog
This is a good read, if, like me, you always thought ole' Bri got a rum deal from the Stones, and all their later self mythologising. OK, he could be a dick sometimes, who can't, but FFS, he was the fire in their belly, he pushed them to be better, he got them the early gigs, he was the purist, the driven one, the true musician. As he slowly lost control of his 'baby', and was slowly inched out of the creative process, you can see his downward spiral was inevitable. Not only cos' of his background (cold, loveless, standoffish post war middle classes) but the fact that his love of the music is how he validated himself. Perhaps the saddest thing about the biog is that neither Charley or Bill stood up for Brian, even though they knew the way he was being treated/ manipulted by Jagger/Richards and Oldham was wrong. Fuckin' cowards the pair of em' happy to go with the flow, as long as the money was rolling in.

Anyways, have a good week.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2383 posts

Edited Mar 29, 2015, 17:26
Mar 29, 2015, 17:18
machineryelf wrote:

Boris – Feedbacker, Heavy Rocks [orange version] all that’s good & bad about Boris is reflected in the fact that you need to qualify which version of Heavy Rocks you are listening to. Cracking music though, Heavy Rocks is aptly named as it RAWKS mightily, and Feedbacker is a mighty beast also

Got the Orange Version of Heavy Rocks, the band were good enough to bring it with them to along with 'Flood' to a gig i saw em' at a while ago. Didn't know there was any version other than the orange one. Got me intrigued now. Is the other version different or just edited differently?
machineryelf
3681 posts

Mar 29, 2015, 17:26
Monganaut wrote:
machineryelf wrote:

Got the Orange Version of Heavy Rocks, the band were god enough to bring it with them to along with 'Flood' to a gig i saw em' at a while ago. Didn't know there was any version other than the orange one. Got me intrigued now. Is the other version different or just edited differently?

http://www.discogs.com/Boris-Heavy-Rocks/master/338818
Purple Version, completely different album released 2011, probably causes confusion somewhere

Flood is IMHO the classic Boris, much as I appreciate the rest of their catalogue Flood stands out above all
machineryelf
3681 posts

Mar 29, 2015, 17:29
both those books look like a good read, holidays coming up, time to check the cheap shelf at HMV

re Brian Jones, I think he was at a level way above dickhead, everything I've read about him shows him as a nasty piece of work
pretty sure somebody on here [or was ] said their mother knew him and he was viler than a vile thing
Monganaut
Monganaut
2383 posts

Mar 29, 2015, 17:30
Oooh, curiouser and curiouser.
Found a stream on youtube, will gvi it a lsten.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHyuUAI2g9k

Must admit, I've not kept abreast of Bozzer's recorded action since 'Pink' Must try and remedy that at some point.

Yeah, Flood is just sublime, can really zone out to that album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZDstZ1-EAI
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Mar 29, 2015, 18:27
machineryelf wrote:
Led Zeppelin – Physical Graffitti not sure if it’s the remastering or just the fact that I haven’t really listened to PG with any depth in a while but the new reissue is fantastic sounding

Agree about Physical Graffiti - I'm loving having it on vinyl and am blasting it out on a regular basis. Bonus stuff is pretty ok too.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6219 posts

Mar 29, 2015, 18:47
Two principle repeat plays this week:

iLiKETRAiNS - Progress Reform

Their debut mini album, I really like this. Songs about Captain Scott and so forth. What's not to like?

V/A - A Young Person's Guide To The Avant Garde

Excellent LTM double CD compilation of music from Satie's 1893 "Vexations" to the 1960s. I've only been listening to disc one this week, which is excellent. Apart from Kurt Schwitters proving that some avant garde recordings are really really irritating.

Otherwise:

Debussy - "Prelude a l'apres-mide d'une faune"

Peggy Lee - Black Coffee

Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um

New York Dolls - New York Dolls

A Certain Ratio - The Graveyard and The Ballroom
Crispy Ambulance - Unsightly and Serene 10"
Grace Jones - Nighclubbing
New Order - "Blue Monday" 12"
New Order - "The Perfect Kiss" 12"
New Order - "True Faith" 12"
New Order - "True Faith (Remix)" 12"
Nitzer Ebb - "Control I'm Here" cd single

Aphex Twin - "On" (remixes)
Autechre - (Incunabula)
Belly - "Feed The Tree" EP
Bjork - "Human Behaviour" CD single
Disco Inferno - "The Last Dance" EP

Bjork - Volta
Luke Abbott - Holkham Drones

Actress - Splaszh
Aphex Twin - Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Mar 29, 2015, 18:59
Mar 29, 2015, 18:52
White Hills - Walks For Motorists. Wow, really good. Tinkering with their space rock thang and taking it to other places. There's hints of goth and post punk in there - even icy and skeletal Magazine type moments - and lots of rumbling bass to go with the space riffing and Krauty synths. I like a lot!

Groan - The Sleeping Wizard/The Divine Right of Kings/Highgrowspliffics. These lot have been keeping me very entertained all week with their party stoner/NWOBHM hybrid rock. All together, "I am the Witchfinder General Finder!"

Uriah Heep - Sea of Light. Heeptastic!
Acid Mothers Temple - Astrogasm of the Inner Space
Treedeon - Lowest Level Reincarnation
Jellyfish - Spilt Milk.
Abba - Gold.
Bo Ningen/Savages - Words to the Blind.
Agitation Free - Last

Stoneghost - New Age of Old Ways. New, South London metal mob cranking out a very potent form of chunky, groove based immense riffage with nods to Pantera and even Mastodon. Very punchy and quite slick - possible hugeness beckons I'd say.

have a nice week x
bauheed
bauheed
896 posts

Mar 29, 2015, 18:52
Kraftwerk - Computer World

Joey Ramone - Don't Worry About Me

Joan Baez - Sings Bob Dylan

Holy Mountain - Ancient Astronauts

Holy McGrail - Collecting Earthquakes

Hellhammer - Apocalyptic Raids

Amon Düül - Paradieswärts Düül

Amadou & Mariam - Wati

Acid Mothers Temple & The Melting Paradiso U.F.O. - Myth Of The Love Electrique; Acid Motherly Love

Malcolm Middleton And David Shrigley - Music and Words

Gene Clark - Echoes

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain

Hawkwind - The 1999 Party; Greasy Truckers Party

Immortal - Battles in the North

Beherit - Electric Doom Synthesis

Deathspell Omega - Infernal Battles

The Byrds - (Untitled) / (Unissued); Live at the Filmore

Aphrodite's Child - 666
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index