Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 28 March 2015 CE

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2383 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 28 March 2015 CE
Mar 29, 2015, 18:53
Well, he'd ahad at least 4 kids before the whole Stones thing kcked off, but I can't help feeling that much of his troubles could be laid on his parents, who seemed quite cold and distant from him. I've no doubt he could be a nasty c**t, but no nastier than the other members of the Stones.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Mar 29, 2015, 18:55
Brian Eno - Before and After Science
The Orb/David Gilmour - Metallic Spheres
Japan - Tin Drum
The Enid - Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Steve Howe - Anthology
Looking forward to seeing him play locally in a couple of weeks.

Led Zep - Celebration Day
This is a hell of a good live recording really. Sounds so good up loud.

The Orb - Cydonia
Really enjoying this. I didn't give it much time on its release, but it sounds mighty fine now.

Various - Tradi-Mods vs Rockers
This sounds great again having not listened to it for a while.

MP3s:

Groan - The Divine Right of Kings
https://groan.bandcamp.com/album/the-divine-right-of-kings
Thanks to Moon Cat for pointing this out. A fun chunk of riffery. I tend to agree with Machineryelf's take on this.

Agitation Free - Last
Thanks again to Moon Cat. Loving this on first couple of listens, it could become a firm favourite.

Centipede - Septober Energy
Thanks to Ian B for this one. Some brilliant stuff on here, although you need to negotiate the initial skronk. Love the Sun Ra-type stuff, and in places it reminds me of Gong as well.

Vinyl:

Gnod - InGnodWeTrust
11 Paranoias - Stealing Fire From Heaven
Led Zep - Physical Graffiti
carol27
747 posts

Mar 29, 2015, 19:03
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:
Honey - Weekend Millionaires. Grunge rockers hailing from Cornwall. Not bad really

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake. I need to get more Polly

Herbaliser - Something Wicked this way comes. A few really strong tracks including instrumentals interspersed with not very appealing rapping.

A guy Called Gerald - Essence.

Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain

Nick Cave - Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus. Another artist I need to hear more of. This is ok, but not as good as Push the Sky Away which is my only source of comparison so far.

Oh, and on my mp3 player:

live sets from islet and Beta Band somewhere or other. (end of road and house of blues i think)

I love The Mercy Seat; The Good Son; Kicking Against the Pricks ( covers album) and Let Love In. Also both Grinderman albums. I was introduced to Nick Cave about 10 years ago & it's been a fantastic journey. I think he's a bloody marvel. I find him uplifting, mental, moving and absolutely joyous!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Mar 29, 2015, 19:04
Squid Tempest wrote:

Thanks to Moon Cat for pointing this out. A fun chunk of riffery. I tend to agree with Machineryelf's take on this.

The new "Highgrowspliffics" ep is their best yet I'd say.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 29, 2015, 19:29
Mar 29, 2015, 19:27
machineryelf wrote:

Humble Pie – Rockin’ The Fillmore 4cds of deservedly legendry live shows, does exactly what it says on the tin

Rory Gallagher – Irish Tour 74, 6cds this time, even better than Humble Pie

I have been toying with buying those but have held back so far. The original releases have been part of my life for 40 years and I know every note, every nuance as if they were burned straight into my DNA. Not sure how I would feel hearing nearly the same thing after all this time but a bit different. Do you find yourself going back to the original selections from the double albums or are there real gems among the unreleased versions?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Mar 29, 2015, 19:57
Moon Cat wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:

The new "Highgrowspliffics" ep is their best yet I'd say.

I'm looking forward to giving that an ear through next week :)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Mar 29, 2015, 20:18
Moon Cat wrote:
White Hills - Walks For Motorists. Wow, really good. Tinkering with their space rock thang and taking it to other places. There's hints of goth and post punk in there - even icy and skeletal Magazine type moments - and lots of rumbling bass to go with the space riffing and Krauty synths. I like a lot!

Groan - The Sleeping Wizard/The Divine Right of Kings/Highgrowspliffics. These lot have been keeping me very entertained all week with their party stoner/NWOBHM hybrid rock. All together, "I am the Witchfinder General Finder!"

Uriah Heep - Sea of Light. Heeptastic!
Acid Mothers Temple - Astrogasm of the Inner Space
Treedeon - Lowest Level Reincarnation
Jellyfish - Spilt Milk.
Abba - Gold.
Bo Ningen/Savages - Words to the Blind.
Agitation Free - Last

Stoneghost - New Age of Old Ways. New, South London metal mob cranking out a very potent form of chunky, groove based immense riffage with nods to Pantera and even Mastodon. Very punchy and quite slick - possible hugeness beckons I'd say.

have a nice week x

Is the White Hills album out already??? Coo, looking forward to hearing that.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Mar 29, 2015, 20:19
thesweetcheat wrote:

V/A - A Young Person's Guide To The Avant Garde

Excellent LTM double CD compilation of music from Satie's 1893 "Vexations" to the 1960s. I've only been listening to disc one this week, which is excellent. Apart from Kurt Schwitters proving that some avant garde recordings are really really irritating.

Picked up a best of Satie type cd recently on the back of really loving the gymnopedies songs. Gnossiennes are also great. It didn't have vexations on so will have to investigate further. Is there some link with Satie and Debussy? I think Debussy did versions of Gymnopedies too?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6219 posts

Mar 29, 2015, 20:30
Debussy wrote "Clair de Lune", which is another famous piece of minimalist piano (1905), although a bit more lush that Satie.

https://youtu.be/a3jpy1OzWg8

Satie basically invented ambient :)

Vexations (1893, between Gymnopedies I think) is a piece based on repetition, apparently the longest recording was 39 hours or something. Here's a short version:

https://youtu.be/dBhjGIdL5cM

Debussy's greatest contribution to modern composition was arguably "Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune" (1894), which was also contemporary with Satie's piano miniatures.

https://youtu.be/bYyK922PsUw

It leads the way down the path to Gershwin ("Rhapsody in Blue").
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Mar 29, 2015, 20:41
When they had a series on modern classical music on the bbc (i think early 2013), Satie and Debussy were favs - as was Gershwin funnily enough!

Yeah, quite like that prelude by Debussy - more so than claire de lune which was ok too.

I can definitely see the link between say Music for Airports and Vexations
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index