Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Mar 30, 2015, 00:00
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 28 March 2015 CE
Mar 29, 2015, 23:45
Yup - well, it's on Keyhole Records, official enough for Amazon uk to stock it - go to the dedicated topic I started here, read my response to your post there and google search using the same words I did and you'll get the Amazon entry. Sorry I can't do the direct link. Or use the grooves inc link in my topic post.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Mar 29, 2015, 23:51
I've been intrigued by what I've read about the Holy Mountain st too... Don Cherry's name always has that effect. Had I a working turntable I reckon I'd have ordered by now.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Mar 29, 2015, 23:51
Fatalist wrote:

Melanie De Biasio – No Deal. Just magnificent. In no way a stretch to compare her to Mark Hollis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scrOGy5Xtpw

That sounded good and had an electricity about it. Great voice and cool arrangement reminiscent of Cinematic Orchestra (who Gilles Peterson also championed and introduced on stage at The Royal Albert Hall. I wont say it was for my 30th birthday as the concert wasn't in aid of me, but it was for my 30th birthday some years ago.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Mar 30, 2015, 02:28
Mar 30, 2015, 01:55
Just checked the link worked still, yup, and found a 1* review's there now. It's not for the playing, but what the reviewer sees as the recording's origin. I never by boots, and very rarely ex-FM 'semi's', but for stuff with such fine content as this - and, similarily Zappa/Beefheart's Providence RI or FZ's Puttin on the Ritz, or Lou Reed's Hassled In April and Cale, Reed and Nico's Batalcan '72, well....and the Kapt Kopt recording quality isn't t h a t bad. Btw, have noticed Amazon have upcoming Keyholey in their prime live releases by Rush and BOC which may cause others to abandon their principles..
1001realapes
1001realapes
2389 posts

Mar 30, 2015, 06:51
Pretty Things - S.F. Sorrow

Robby Krieger - Cinematix

Gong - You

The Soft Machine - Jet Propelled Photographs

Soft Machine - Alive & Well , Recorded in Paris

Soft Machine - Spaced

Soft Machine - Live in Concert

Soft Machine - Noisette

Soft Machine - Softs

Soft Machine - Land of Cockayne

Soft Works - Abracadabra

Beck - Morning Phase

Eagles - Their Greatest Hits

Paul McCartney - Chaos & Creation in the Backyard

Led Zeppelin - st

Led Zeppelin - II

Led Zeppelin - III

Led Zeppelin - IV

Led Zeppelin - BBC Sessions (disc 1)

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (slightly tweaked)

The Song Remains the Same
Over the Hills and Far Away
Dancing Days
Rain song
Houses of the Holy
The Rover
No Quarter
The Ocean

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti (1974 tracks playlist !) & disc 3 Deluxe

Custard Pie
In My Time Of Dying
Trampled Underfoot
Kashmir
In The Light
Ten Years Gone
The Wanton Song
Sick Again

Led Zeppelin - Presence

Led Zeppelin - Coda Remade

Baby Come On Home
Travelling Riverside Blues
White Summer / Black Mountain Side
We're Gonna Groove
Poor Tom
Bron-Yr-Aur
Hey Hey What Can I Do
Night Flight
Boogie with Stu
Down By The Seaside
Black Country Woman

The Beatles - Please Please Me

Julian Cope - Rite Now
machineryelf
3681 posts

Mar 30, 2015, 07:03
IanB wrote:
machineryelf wrote:

Humble Pie – Rockin’ The Fillmore 4cds of deservedly legendry live shows, does exactly what it says on the tin

Rory Gallagher – Irish Tour 74, 6cds this time, even better than Humble Pie

I have been toying with buying those but have held back so far. The original releases have been part of my life for 40 years and I know every note, every nuance as if they were burned straight into my DNA. Not sure how I would feel hearing nearly the same thing after all this time but a bit different. Do you find yourself going back to the original selections from the double albums or are there real gems among the unreleased versions?

the Humble Pie I could argue is the same LP four times, there are enough variations [minor but there] to make it worthwhile if you really care, but the whole live set was released on the original LP in pretty much the right order so no new songs or big surprises, my old vinyl copy was showing its age so I didn't mind replacing it

Get the Rory G set, it's a masterpiece from a masterpiece, yes it's expensive and it has 3 sets from the same tour but everything is on fire, the band , the crowd, the setlist is Irish Tour 74 plus Live in Europe, it is amazing. If you like the original you'll love this. If they come up with an expanded Live In Europe I'll be on it like a shot
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Edited Mar 30, 2015, 10:46
Mar 30, 2015, 10:08
Squid Tempest wrote:
The Orb/David Gilmour - Metallic Spheres

I was so disappointed by this, personally. It just came across as a stoned weekend jam session, where because David Flippin' Gilmore had dropped by and was on the tracks it just HAD to be released, whatever it sounded like. I ended up giving my copy away to a devoted Floyd fan mate of mine - who also dismisses it as a weak album.

Of their more recent poop, Orbsessions Vol.2 is a proper good soundtrack for blissed out bewilderment, I reckon. Well worth a punt.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Mar 30, 2015, 11:16
I'm not going to damn the Orb/Gilmour as it was made to aid Gary McKinnon. I'm glad that The Orb are still around in some form.. ditto raves, which I still associate their music with - I don't know how representative that release is of their current style - as long as they're as leech and n'er do well free as possible. If people want get away from the nine to five, go off for a night and have an adventure of whatever sort then bloody good luck to them, as long as nobody gets damaged and the landowners cool about it. I wonder if there are dedicated rave- goers now approaching or maybe in their fifties in the same way that there are Northern Soul diehards. Driving north up the M1 on Friday evenings on my adventures in the late '80's past the convoys of tatty campervans always made me smile. You're only young once.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Mar 30, 2015, 11:25
Mar 30, 2015, 11:22
Duplicated post in error.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Mar 30, 2015, 11:24
I like it. It's a suite of songs rebelling against domestic inertia and control, coming across to my ears as a less frenetic take on 'Penis Envy' era Crass than anything Slits-like. Although Viv's no great singer, some of her songs are genuinely catchy, and she's recruited some stellar sidemen to help her out. Well worth hearing.
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index