Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
your most hatred bands / singers / musicians albums you can't stand ?

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: your most hatred bands / singers / musicians albums you can't stand ?
Oct 03, 2014, 01:22
The Donovan version might make you change your mind. At least I love it.
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Oct 03, 2014, 02:12
Rush did some awful stuff in the late 80's through most of the nineties (but I gotta admit I still like most of it) but albums like farewell to kings,2112,fly by night and permanent waves haves some bona fide gems on them.Sure geddys voice is an acquired taste but if you have any interest in kinda spacey hippie prog then they are worth a listen,they are Canada's answer to hawkwind only better in all respects IMHO at least.
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Oct 03, 2014, 06:51
Bob Dylan

Beatles

Yes

Genesis

Jethro Tull
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Edited Oct 03, 2014, 08:43
Oct 03, 2014, 08:42
Kid Calamity wrote:
All of these artistes have produced stuff I like, at some point. Yes - even Phil Collins.

Me too - especially Steely Dan. In fact, I can't think of a Steely Dan record I don't like. There, I've said it now. I can't take it back.

Even the most odious and/or disposable of pop music acts (I hate the word "artists", especially with the pretentious 'e' added) has the right to make one decent record. I've despised The Osmonds for 45 years, but always dug 'Crazy Horses', for example. I could list loads of other examples by acts I personally can't stand, even R*bb*e W**ll**ms (well okay, just one track).

Are the original poster's choices coloured slightly by an opinion of the persons concerned as people, of are they based purely on musical appreciation grounds? Whatever I think of Phil Collins' hardcore Tory, homeless-pitying-from-his-Caribbean-home lifestyle, I can't deny that 'In The Air Tonight' is a genuinely original and enduring 45, and he is a gifted drummer with a portfolio stretching from Genesis and Brand X to Robert Plant and Eno. The Eagles may be prime purveyors of overplayed, Smooth FM fodder, but there are some fine, rarely played tracks of real substance on their early LPs. And why the beef with Clapton? He might have blanded out in the wake of his heroin and alcohol addictions but he's still left a decent legacy of great tracks, and not just as far back as Cream.

And Steely Dan? Howay man, they're fucking class.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Oct 03, 2014, 09:04
Oct 03, 2014, 09:00
I think there's always been this weird state of affairs with fandom and hatedom, in which it's so much easier to hate things- and people- you know precious little about, but the things you do know are hardly encouraging enough to make you want to snout around for not-entirely-displeasing trax. Shining light on every corner of a thing- or person- will almost always result in something you can dig or relate to, but fuck if I have the time, or the willpower, to do that when there's so many other things I could be doing. Like sitting on a bench staring at my feet.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Oct 03, 2014, 10:23
We wear short shorts!!
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Oct 03, 2014, 10:44
How is what they look like relevant?
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Oct 03, 2014, 11:19
Vybik Jon wrote:

Its not relevant in the least just an observation take a look yourself
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Oct 03, 2014, 12:05
billding68 wrote:
Vybik Jon wrote:

Its not relevant in the least just an observation take a look yourself

Agreed, it's not relevant. So why introduce the issue into a thread about music you don't like? You said their "look" is "cringe worthy" and that they are "VERY unattractive". I see that as sexist, but that's just an observation.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Oct 03, 2014, 13:23
Fitter Stoke wrote:
(I hate the word "artists", especially with the pretentious 'e' added)

Hey ho. That's a habit I picked up when I worked for a record company, many moons ago. I thought it was the norm.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index