Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
your most hatred bands / singers / musicians albums you can't stand ?

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: your most hatred bands / singers / musicians albums you can't stand ?
Oct 04, 2014, 10:01
It just seems like every time I mosey on down to the latest Post-Punk reunion, you're playing with 'em!
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Oct 04, 2014, 10:06
billding68 wrote:
Vybik Jon wrote:
No argument on the image thing, but that's a whole different argument to deriding musicians because of how attractive they are.

I think there is a difference.

I never said they were bad because they are ugly I said they are bad AND they are ugly. Nothing Sexist about it nothing to do with their talent or lack thereof nothing to do with gender just an observation. My statement should have been they make shitty music and they are ugly...

tell me im wrong tell me they are cute(and I will call you a liar)
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=4+non+blondes&qpvt=4+non+blondes&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=E61C4F859555269F08A7F3B7008F10012CF71E9A&selectedIndex=1

People get irked about manufactured pop with shiny perfect dolls warbling over someone else's songs, and yet guys will happily tear apart some s'posedly unhot female musicians. They kinda warned you in their name, didn't they? I don't think male musicians are put up to anywhere near the same kind of physical scrutiny. Just 'cause everyone's used to this state of affairs, doesn't mean it isn't fucked.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2014, 11:08
Re: Um...
Oct 04, 2014, 11:07
spencer wrote:
...an entire musical (?) genre, and those that produce it - I'm not sure what actual playing's involved or its just sampling. I don't even know its name. I like drum and bass sometimes, but perhaps its a variant of it... I only hear it coming from cars, at extreme vibrating volume. No drum, just a bass note. Often the same one over and over. T h r o b. Pause. T h r o b. Pause. Cont. Occupants must be deafened. The twats who tear up my local Morrisons car park at night play it. I fucking hate it. And them. It's......nothing.

I don't mind it. I like a bit of bass. Not sure how much of it is designed to be annoying to non initiates. Probably forms some part of the appeal. To me it is preferable to drivers / riders who tune their bike / car engine to make as much noise as technically possible. My other pet hate are people who play music on their phones on public transport. No bass at all. Kids today, eh? Don't know they're born etc etc ...
stray
stray
2057 posts

Oct 04, 2014, 11:52
spencer wrote:
...an entire musical (?) genre, and those that produce it - I'm not sure what actual playing's involved or its just sampling. I don't even know its name. I like drum and bass sometimes, but perhaps its a variant of it... I only hear it coming from cars, at extreme vibrating volume. No drum, just a bass note. Often the same one over and over. T h r o b. Pause. T h r o b. Pause. Cont. Occupants must be deafened. The twats who tear up my local Morrisons car park at night play it. I fucking hate it. And them. It's......nothing.

Probably Dubstep, but you'll be pleased to know it's day is done and it's on the wane it seems. https://illmethodology.com/2014/08/beatport-sales-chart-dubstep-is-dead/ The reality is though that people are releasing.. um.. variants.. of dubstep and giving it new names. The cycle repeats. A lot of deep house has dubstep motifs these days. Dubstep came from UK Garage (which has absolutely no relation to NY Garage), and UK garage had a lot of influences, particularly from deep house. This is just my analysis though.

Early Dubstep has very little relationship to more recent dubstep anyroad. The same split, unfamiliarity, is true of early/recent forms of all dance genres though. Except for Drum n Bass and Dub Techno (and probably others) that are set in amber and show no signs of breaking new ground really. If they did, they'd be given another name. Much like how some UK Garage in 2006-07 got name Dubstep.

All that said, maybe what you're hearing is Grime, and that's something else again (though has strong roots in UK Garage as well as Rap/hip Hop).
spencer
spencer
3065 posts

Um...
Oct 04, 2014, 13:05
Ta for that.. I can't bring myself - even if my current crap comstech permitted - to confirm ID via downloading examples. Perhaps its the people I've seen blasting it out. Definitely I'm getting old. Freakzone worthy it isn't, imo. I keep wanting to retaliate by playing high volume steam trains. THATS music.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Oct 04, 2014, 13:12
I actually prefer dubstep (and especially grime) the more brash and brutish and fast-tempo it is. It lends itself very well to a gunmetal grey eerie innercity late-night vibe, but fuck that I'm for dance at its most elemental. I adore how one of its latest transmutations is the weirdo Bubblegum Bass Pop of Pc Music courtesy of A.G. Cook. These are properly worth a play if you want to hear how genuinely inspired and fun the kids can get. Czech some of these mixes: https://soundcloud.com/pcmus/sets/mixes
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2014, 13:23
Oct 04, 2014, 13:20
Pretty much all of what people term modern indie rock - i.e. Corporate indie music . Bands featured on NME front covers since Brit pop.
This is an age thing for me which is why I don't really hate it but rather just think it's in the main too simple and boring.
I can't relate to modern rock music. Younger people are generally less likely to have their heads full of musical theory and debates and to follow more esoteric or rebellious music in numbers like many of us did in the social climate back in the day.
I'd probably be more inclined to buy a Rod Stewart 70s album than a Foo Fighters record.

Pet hates in the way of irritating - then would have to include Van Morrison, U2 and any band inclined to influence packs of beer swilling wankers to congregate to shout their lyrics out - example being Kaiser Chiefs. In fact any group likely to pull a big crowd as I don't like crowds of people and herd mentality anyway!
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Oct 04, 2014, 13:32
dave clarkson wrote:
Pretty much all of what people term modern indie rock - i.e. Corporate indie music . Bands featured on NME front covers since Brit pop.
This is an age thing for me which is why I don't really hate it but rather just think it's in the main too simple and boring.
I can't relate to modern rock music. Younger people are generally less likely to have their heads full of musical theory and debates and to follow more esoteric or rebellious music in numbers like many of us did in the social climate back in the day.
I'd probably be more inclined to buy a Rod Stewart 70s album than a Foo Fighters record.

Pet hates in the way of irritating - then would have to include Van Morrison, U2 and any band inclined to influence packs of beer swilling wankers to congregate to shout their lyrics out - example being Kaiser Chiefs. In fact any group likely to pull a big crowd as I don't like crowds of people and herd mentality anyway!

First, I do fucking hate this landfill shit that's STILL benighting our earwaves. It's made any moderately big festival almost unattendable for me. I thought people were over this stuff? I never hear anyone talking about indie musiks, and yet the festivals are packed to the gills full of these indie bands of yesteryear (with that year being about...2002?).

Don't agree with that bit about young people, though. Sure, there's always a contingent into muzaky buskery singer/songwriters or bleery blokey bollocks, but it's utterly undeniable that another portion of the youts are doing a ton've spelunking into arcana because of the internets. I'm sure the latter is a much higher percentage than it used to be.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2014, 13:47
Oct 04, 2014, 13:42
Yeah I guess you're right - there probably are interesting bands/ artists for the kids today. I'm too old and not interested anyway in keeping abreast of new stuff. Most of my interest is in electronic or avant garde music which is pretty dull to a lot of people too!
Plus I haven't got kids myself so growing into a grumpy old man listening to more isolationist type music. Must put aside some time each week to check out new bands and be part of the big society or whatever it's called now :-)

8)
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2014, 14:20
Oct 04, 2014, 14:17
Sin Agog wrote:
I actually prefer dubstep (and especially grime) the more brash and brutish and fast-tempo it is. It lends itself very well to a gunmetal grey eerie innercity late-night vibe, but fuck that I'm for dance at its most elemental. I adore how one of its latest transmutations is the weirdo Bubblegum Bass Pop of Pc Music courtesy of A.G. Cook. These are properly worth a play if you want to hear how genuinely inspired and fun the kids can get. Czech some of these mixes: https://soundcloud.com/pcmus/sets/mixes

Ha, nice. I like that PC Music stuff, Negativland meets dubstep bass. I completely concur on what you're saying about vibe, dark times and environments create dark music, its a vibe that's always worked for me. My main, and probably only complaints, are how badly produced most of it is and how much of it is purely lego compositions (usually with poor MCs). There is good in the forms, and enough people involved in it with just the right side of a musical sense of humour to keep me nosing around in it all. Grime hits the spot more frequently than dubstep does in that regard.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index