What's your most nostalgic song?

34 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: What's your most nostalgic song?
Jul 24, 2014, 21:34
In terms of things my mother used to play for me as a child, which when I branched out into my own entity still wooed and wowed me, well she was the epitome of a willowy folk-loving hippie, so she'd sing and spin things like Donovan, The Incredible String Band, Pentangle and Buffy Sainte-Marie to me regularly. Specific songs: Donovan - Donna Donna (think this was her go-to calming song); I can remember hearing The Incredible String Band's Maya a fair few times, and dancing to the bits when the funky sitar kicked in in the chorus; Buffy Sainte-Marie...can't remember any specific tracks, though I found It's My Way weirdly familiar when I replayed it years later (ended up taking her to see Buffy in London a couple of years back); I loved finding Trees' On The Shore in her vinyl collection when I was a teenager, the track Murdoch was my go-to bit of folk catharsis, and it's still my favourite integration of the electric guitar into psyche-folk. She also had Comus in there amongst the other folky vinyls, but the one time I tried to play that way too soon in my listening career was more harrowing than nostalgia-inducing.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index