Julian cancels Belfast show - extremely disappointing reason given

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Re: Julian cancels Belfast show - extremely disappointing reason given
Dec 29, 2013, 12:45
I've never quite understood what exactly the MC5's problem with fruit based conserves was.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Dec 29, 2013, 17:54
Astralcat wrote:
I've never quite understood what exactly the MC5's problem with fruit based conserves was.

Probably the jams were getting quite unruly, the MC5 trying to politely tell them to leave didn't work.

I think perhaps these jams also attended the Stooges show at Crosley Field, so quick thinking Iggy started flinging the peanut butter at them to balance the ratio out.
Deargdoom
3 posts

Dec 30, 2013, 14:23
billding68 wrote:
dazzagallagher wrote:
More than disappointing. Like most people on this thread, I've seen Julian several times, Belfast Castle, Dublin, Empire, CQAF.. And I was really looking forward to seeing him again. But looks like he just can't Cope. Revolutionary my arse.

Really? So he cancels one gig and your ready to throw the baby out with the bath water ? Sounds a bit Winey to be honest! Julian hasn't toured the U.S. In a very long time ( if ever) and that his prerogative, stop acting like he owes you something he's not your mate after all he's a pop musician keep it in perspective.

I travel in and out of Derry regularly(my wife almost every day )and we have to put up with bomb scares etc on a regular basis.Do we stop going in?No.Has my wife quit her job?No.By reacting in this way Cope has let the dickheads win. And he must have an incredibly inflated idea of his own worth if he thinks the extremists on either side of the 'divide' would target a Julian Cope gig!
Deargdoom
3 posts

Dec 30, 2013, 14:28
billding68 wrote:
Sin Agog wrote:
This does make all the gun-toting skeletal, white Huey Newtonisms seem especially poseury.

Give the guy a break! Why would you willingly go into a situation where you feel you AND your crew may be in danger ( no matter how small or real) this isn't just about Julian but also his band or crew roadies etc.... I know how situations can be blown out of proportion but you can't fault the guy for being safe rather than sorry.

Utter bollocks! How come Primal Scream,BRMC,Eels,British Sea Power,John Grant,Biffy Clyro,Elvis Costello,Chic,Queens Of The Stone Age and many,many more have all played gigs in either Derry or Belfast this year without a hint of trouble? If you give into the bullies you make a statement and that statement is 'the bullies win'. My wife called me last year after being evacuated from work due to a bomb scare.Whilst she was on the phone the bomb went off half a mile away.She was in work the next day.Cope needs to grow a pair.
Myers
Myers
151 posts

Dec 30, 2013, 14:59
Deargdoom wrote:
billding68 wrote:
Sin Agog wrote:
This does make all the gun-toting skeletal, white Huey Newtonisms seem especially poseury.

Give the guy a break! Why would you willingly go into a situation where you feel you AND your crew may be in danger ( no matter how small or real) this isn't just about Julian but also his band or crew roadies etc.... I know how situations can be blown out of proportion but you can't fault the guy for being safe rather than sorry.

Utter bollocks! How come Primal Scream,BRMC,Eels,British Sea Power,John Grant,Biffy Clyro,Elvis Costello,Chic,Queens Of The Stone Age and many,many more have all played gigs in either Derry or Belfast this year without a hint of trouble? If you give into the bullies you make a statement and that statement is 'the bullies win'. My wife called me last year after being evacuated from work due to a bomb scare.Whilst she was on the phone the bomb went off half a mile away.She was in work the next day.Cope needs to grow a pair.

Ultimately, though, it is his choice. And one he is free to make, you may not agree with it, you may be disappointed in him but as has been said before, he owes you nothing.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Dec 30, 2013, 15:07
I was in Belfast in the summer of 90 and it seemed that every misparked car was seen as a bomb. I just remember seeing several of them control exploded/
& outside of the street theatre aspects people just seemed to ignore it. I guess with everything that is a near constant nuisance the mind blanks it.
I remember when the group of people i was with first arrived in Belfast and we met a local alternative type we stood talking in the street as an armoured landrover went by. One of us asked what it was, since being a bunch of people who hung around Edinburgh we hadn't really seen the like, this local had pretty much erased it from his conscious mind or similar and had to have the thing specificaly described.

Does seem a bit iffy Julian cancelling like this. Better drop the urban guerilla pose really. Like we could have a revolution as long as its done comfortably?

Stevo
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Dec 30, 2013, 16:29
Never understood this owed nothing thing, surely a bit of respect would be nice, he surely owes that to the people who've been putting money into his pocket for years.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Dec 30, 2013, 16:42
to give Julian the benefit of a doubt
he may have gotten a specific threat to him
he hasn't been afraid to tweak certain religions
Myers
Myers
151 posts

Dec 30, 2013, 17:07
Captain Starlet wrote:
Never understood this owed nothing thing, surely a bit of respect would be nice, he surely owes that to the people who've been putting money into his pocket for years.

Not sure. I think the deal is this, he makes the music. If you like it, you buy it.. Transaction completed.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Dec 30, 2013, 17:11
Astralcat wrote:

they were pretty much hardcore jelly and heroin users

no jams, preserves, conserves or spreads

they didn't wanna dull the nodding off
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index