Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: When did indie music go tits up?
May 03, 2013, 18:58
Moon Cat wrote:
Pete Doherty - The Patron Saint of Oversold, Hyped, Underachieving, Skag- Deluded, scrotum-tug the middle aged Mojo lickers, absolute nexus of the square root of fuck all, and yet was held as an icon of anything at all?!! And the ridiculous amounts of column inches devoted to gigs HE DIDN'T TURN UP FOR BUT HEY, THAT's CRAZY PETE! And king of Cunt Hats. Squadgy faced, tuneless goon made being not that good actually, sub poet-rock as BLAND selfwank juice, a sellable quality by and for suckers. Never did an audience and their Prince of Relentless Indie-Void (and he treated those suckers like turd) so deserve each other. Was always tempted to nuke a venue he was playing at in the name of pest control but chances are the fuckhole woulda been too busy rolling around in his own snot and mythology to turn up.

Did you ever see him interviewed by Kirsty Walk on Newsnight. I like KW normally but this was tragic, ignorant, fawning nonsense that could only have been redeemed / explained by her ending the interview with "can I be your Mummy?". I guess he has that effect on people with a weakness for human reclamation projects ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxMtLEOvWqQ
Moon Cat
9577 posts

May 03, 2013, 20:13
IanB wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
Pete Doherty - The Patron Saint of Oversold, Hyped, Underachieving, Skag- Deluded, scrotum-tug the middle aged Mojo lickers, absolute nexus of the square root of fuck all, and yet was held as an icon of anything at all?!! And the ridiculous amounts of column inches devoted to gigs HE DIDN'T TURN UP FOR BUT HEY, THAT's CRAZY PETE! And king of Cunt Hats. Squadgy faced, tuneless goon made being not that good actually, sub poet-rock as BLAND selfwank juice, a sellable quality by and for suckers. Never did an audience and their Prince of Relentless Indie-Void (and he treated those suckers like turd) so deserve each other. Was always tempted to nuke a venue he was playing at in the name of pest control but chances are the fuckhole woulda been too busy rolling around in his own snot and mythology to turn up.

Did you ever see him interviewed by Kirsty Walk on Newsnight. I like KW normally but this was tragic, ignorant, fawning nonsense that could only have been redeemed / explained by her ending the interview with "can I be your Mummy?". I guess he has that effect on people with a weakness for human reclamation projects ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxMtLEOvWqQ

I did. Gwag. To be honest, I think he's the most inherently useless 'icon' since Sid Vicious. Did you ever see the film that was broadcast a few years back that was made by some bloke who worshipped him to the point of stalkeryness? Everything about it was desperate and empty. Just made me feel why is this person getting so much for so little when there must be a trillion artists more deserving of a break out there. You know, I think he has a good turn of phrase and his shambolic, jangle isn't the worst thing ever...but, you know, get a grip people. Give your love to someone that actually reciprocates above and beyond licking their own self-myth.
He 'acts' now apparently. Don't look if you want to not scream.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited May 03, 2013, 23:30
May 03, 2013, 22:44
Thought indie music turned to shit about the time of C86 when it was celebrated as a genre, with all the amateurish retro beach boys, VU and throwback groups leading onto all the shoegaze nonsense.
Post punk indie up to 1985 was good or at least interesting. 1986 onwards was mainly american music for me.... trouble funk, cool tempo records, chicago house. Wasn't listening to Sarah recs or catching the latest limited edition field mice 7 inch on inoffensive coloured vinyl. Only checking back into the indie or 'bands' genre every so often to hear the latest albums by the Fall, stuff on Mute or Factory (though that had turned to shit by then too) or records which had a bit of grit rather than a celebration of celibacy.

As an aside - I think Oasis weren't the downfall of indie. If anything I thought their debut album was a much appreciated steamroller over the likes of Ride etc. Oasis brought sex, drugs, drinking and misbehaving back to pop music in the 90s and was glad they did. We all know the aftermath, i.e britpop and their second album.... went stale very quickly but the brightest stars burn fastest...you could switch off from Dodgy or the Boo Radleys by getting into some great music at the time like Doc Scott, Photek or Goldie.

8)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

May 03, 2013, 23:29
Phew...at least you didn't bring class-snobbery, inverted or otherwise into it!

(saw it first hee hee hee.)

Oasis had it and blew it (or snorted it as it were). Some genius tunes, and absolutely kicked the dust up, but ultimately crippled, as so many from this city before or since, by a slavish adherence to 'cool'. The fear, and it is a fear, of looking 'rock' (and therefore possibly 'silly' despite that fact that it's all rather silly), rather than the far more acceptable 'rock n roll' has choked generations of Manc bands into a modish cul-de-sac of indie-worthiness and history-beholden conservatism. Ironically, the cool Manc swagger is often down a one way street.

Thanks the stars that there are now Manc bands no longer so shackled to that which has gone before and are doing what they want without worrying whether Noel would like them or not. I love loads of the music this city has produced over the decades, but lets stop treating it all as sacrosanct and that the past has to be a rigid template for all that follows. And that 'cool' comes first.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited May 03, 2013, 23:42
May 03, 2013, 23:34
Ha! tempted to bring the class war bit in but restrained myself though I do think that there's an element of snobbery towards successful working class bands like Oasis.

and I'm not sure I hear anything fresh out of manchester though. Got the Everything Everything album as everyone was saying how great it was but for me it's incredibly conservative, as are delphic and the like. Always open ears to new bands but think anything interesting out of manchester will be in other genres. No wonder Peter Hook and the light don't have anything to worry about!

8)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

May 03, 2013, 23:42
dave clarkson wrote:
I'm not sure I hear anything fresh out of manchester though. Got the Everything Everything album as everyone was saying how great it was but for me it's incredibly conservative, as are delphic and the like. Always open ears to new bands but think anything interesting out of manchester will be in other genres. No wonder Peter Hook and the light don't have anything to worry about!

8)

Well, that's sort of what I mean in a way. Bands doing things no longer enslaved to acceptable Manc friendly 'indie'. Wolfcrusher! Stoner-groove-rock death metal hybrid..Amplifier post-rock prog etc .That Triclops lot were all right too 8^)
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited May 03, 2013, 23:47
May 03, 2013, 23:44
like the sound of Wolfcrusher - not heard them. Anything 'prog' makes me run for the hills!
As for Triclops - they pissed it up the wall before EMI were getting the chequebooks out...
Moon Cat
9577 posts

May 03, 2013, 23:50
dave clarkson wrote:
like the sound of Wolfcrusher - not heard them. Anything 'prog' makes me run for the hills!
As for Triclops - they pissed it up the wall before EMI were getting the chequebooks out...

I know, I saw! The drugs! The Women! The tea bags and chocolate hob-nobs! Smarties and mint imperials! They were like the Aerosmith of West Didsbury!
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited May 03, 2013, 23:57
May 03, 2013, 23:55
Ha! Rock n roll encapsulated indeed....we were coming out of the wilderness years at that point

Always go with the myth rather than the reality...but don't tell anyone....

8)
keith a
9573 posts

May 04, 2013, 00:15
Moon Cat wrote:

Oasis had it and blew it (or snorted it as it were). Some genius tunes, and absolutely kicked the dust up, but ultimately crippled, as so many from this city before or since, by a slavish adherence to 'cool'.

Dunno about that last bit. I think you're first reference was more the issue with where and how it went wrong.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index