Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: When did indie music go tits up?
May 03, 2013, 12:20
Popel Vooje wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:

Pete Doherty - The Patron Saint of Oversold, Hyped, Underachieving, Skag- Deluded, scrotum-tug the middle aged Mojo lickers, absolute nexus of the square root of fuck all, and yet was held as an icon of anything at all?!! And the ridiculous amounts of column inches devoted to gigs HE DIDN'T TURN UP FOR BUT HEY, THAT's CRAZY PETE! And king of Cunt Hats. Squadgy faced, tuneless goon made being not that good actually, sub poet-rock as BLAND selfwank juice, a sellable quality by and for suckers. Never did an audience and their Prince of Relentless Indie-Void (and he treated those suckers like turd) so deserve each other. Was always tempted to nuke a venue he was playing at in the name of pest control but chances are the fuckhole woulda been too busy rolling around in his own snot and mythology to turn up.

Ha! It would seem that Mr Doherty has the same effect on you as Jack White has on me. Perhaps if they ever collaborated the universe would become so thickly embalmed in their all encompassing shitasticularness that electricity would cease to exist and we'd all have to start again from scratch with banjos and home-made washboards.

8^)
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Edited May 03, 2013, 12:33
May 03, 2013, 12:33
I heard the new Stereophonics single yesterday. Never really been a fan but they have gone from the early days of being a loud guitar band fronted by a Rod Stewart tribute act to a just plain Rod Stewart tribute act.

Maggie Maybe.
MrsSevenrealm
MrsSevenrealm
204 posts

May 03, 2013, 12:42
Perhaps it hasn't gone tits up, think we just got old.....
Moon Cat
9577 posts

May 03, 2013, 13:05
Spaceship mark wrote:
I heard the new Stereophonics single yesterday. Never really been a fan but they have gone from the early days of being a loud guitar band fronted by a Rod Stewart tribute act to a just plain Rod Stewart tribute act.

Maggie Maybe.

They've already done "Handbags and Gladrags" haven't they? (I know Rod didn't write it, but it's more often than not associated with him)

Not sure I could handle Kelly Jones singing "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" I must say.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

May 03, 2013, 13:27
Didn't the downfall (aye, downfall!)not really start with Screamadelica, Happy Mondays etc?
I always feel that was the start of an unpalatable crossover and 'mass' interest. Many will probably disagree with me, but I hated all that, it really felt like the end of 'indie' for me.
mcshafty
mcshafty
86 posts

May 03, 2013, 13:36
MrsSevenrealm wrote:
Perhaps it hasn't gone tits up, think we just got old.....

I'd have to agree with ya.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

May 03, 2013, 13:37
Is Julian 'Indie' do you think?
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 03, 2013, 19:01
May 03, 2013, 13:39
Moon Cat wrote:
Is Julian 'Indie' do you think?

Independent yes. Indie no. He hasn't been Indie since he was last signed to a major ;-)
keith a
9573 posts

May 03, 2013, 18:24
machineryelf wrote:

If Carter USM are the pinnacle of what you are striving for it's time to give up.

Hahahaha!!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

May 03, 2013, 18:51
machineryelf wrote:
When people started believing the Frank & Walters were great life affirmimg pop, this is said only slightly tongue in cheek, when bands like them ,Neds Atomic Dustbin,Senseless Things et al were promoted as being more than the 2nd tier 3rd on the bill bands that they were. If Carter USM are the pinnacle of what you are striving for it's time to give up. so about 92 i'd say

Good call on 92. I was working at Reading in 91 and it was desperate stuff. Carter and James being notably awful. There was a band down bill on the first day that we thought were quite good. American power trio with a brilliant front man. No idea what happened to them. That day was also notable for the worst Iggy set I ever saw and I have experienced some awful ones. One of those weekends when the prospect of going back to work on the Tuesday seemed positively idyllic.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index