Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 20 January 2013 CE

34 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 20 January 2013 CE
Jan 21, 2013, 09:13
1) Lee Perry and Friends - Disco Devil-The Jamaican Discomixes ..... this came out at the back end of last year. I saw it in my local indie emporium, felt skint and left it, forgot about it till a web browse a few days ago made me realise what a tremendous release this might be. Just how good it is: better than I could ever have hoped for. A collection of Scratch's ultra-rare 12" mixes from '77-'79...and absolutely faultless. I've been collecting Lee's stuff for thirty-five years and right now I'm wondering if this is the best I've come across.

The nearest comparison is his Open The Gate set, where quite a few of the tracks here may be found, but I think most are different versions - I need to play Gate again to be sure, but that involves removing this from my player. A problem. Great remastering, compiled, like the Trojan Dub set that Paradox and I like hugely, with respect and knowledge and..love.

This is Lee taking his output and abilities to the extreme. Two and a half hours of invention without a foot wrong.. it just flows. Music to move to. Anyone who remains puzzled as to why some people hold Perry in such regard needs to hear this: all becomes clear.

This set should be called Open Your Ears. Murvin, Faith, Congos, Burnett, Heptones, Alimontado, Lee himself..I thought I knew this stuff and how far it had been taken, and was wrong.

It was suggested recently that people's 2012 'best of' lists should be reevaluated in a month or two..this indubitably proves the wisdom of that. Up to a couple of days ago I would have said that Can's Lost Tapes was my 'from the vaults' favourite of last year.

That was then. This 2CD takes the crown for me now. No content to quibble about, just sonic gold, culminating in my favourite reggae tune of all, Leroy Sibbles' Garden of Life. This, to me, even living in a smoke free zone, is bliss.

Cheers, Spencer.

Duly bought, and yours, and Amazon folks glowing reviews have got me bubbling with anticipation.
I'd actually skipped past this a few weeks ago, whilst perusing on said site.
Sounds magnificent.....Cheers, mate.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index