34 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 20 January 2013 CE
Jan 20, 2013, 16:29
Copernicus Nothing Exists
cd reissue of the improvisatory performance poet's 1st lp. Been trying to get hold of material by him for years and then saw a review of this in TimeMazine & looked it up on the URL provided. They have reissued most of his stuff over the last couple of years, I think Deeper the lp I was most after came out last October
http://www.copernicusonline.net/discography.html
members of his band went onto form Black 47 though they don't sound much alike. This is more dark improvisatory jazz meets rock.

Alfonso Lovo La Gigantona
Nicaraaguan minister's son's psych/dub/latin jazz meets rock late 70s lp. Very recommended, especially if you're into things like Santana or Azteca.
Chepito Areas appears on percussion. Lovo on guitar.

Nancy Priddy You've Been This Way Before
Singer/songwriter psych/MOR. Really pretty lovely.
She provided some of the backing vocals for the 1st Leonard Cohen lp though I'm not sure that gives you much of a pointer.
Think I've also seen comparisons to some of David Axelrod's late 60s work . I really like this anyway.

Sun Ra Sunrise iN different Dimensions
Ra mainly on acoustic piano here but still pretty spacey. There was a longer time-specific descriptionof events I came across on I think Amazon reviews that doesn't show up in the linernotes surprisingly. Something about some of the band not managing to get to Europe where this was recorded in time for the gig this was recorded at. So I think it may lack the bassist who was on the rest of the tour or something.
Anyway pretty great stuff, has a lot of covers of 40s jazz and standards but remains pretty spacey despite lack of electronic play with Ra's keyboards.

Giannis Markopoulos No Mr Johnson
a Greek soundtrack lp that I picked up on Demonoid a while back. It was a recording I'd picked up on vinyl from the miscellaneous section of my local 2nd hand record shop in the late 80s and had missed since I lost most of my vinyl in Dublin about a decade later. Think i picked it up on Demonoid cos I knew the composer's name then heard it and realised it was the same music.
Cadences of trilling stringed instruments bouzoukis etc. Love this stuff and would like to know more about what Greek Soundtrack music was worth checking out. I know a few names Markopoulos, Theodarakis, Hadjikadis but would love to know more, especially if it is this sublime.
Have hoped that Sublime Frequencies compiling Omar Khorshid's music a couple of years ago might lead to them discovering some of this stuff. Could be I'm only making the connection from my having discovered both sets of music in the same section of the same shop and wouldn;t have similar links to other people. But I'm thinking great middle eastern music & hoping that interest develops which might lead to more of this stuff being readily available. Doesn't seem to be turning up easily in google searches.

Goat World Music
Danish stoner rock based explorations into more left-field influences.
I hear bits of East Indian rhythms I'd expect to hear more from tablas amongst the overt african influences etc.
Great lp, which should be in every home. Came with a bonus cd of the first London gig when you bought it in Rough Trade.

Rangda Formerly Extinct
Great 2 guitar & drums instrumental work-outs. I don't know either guitarist's styles well enough to be able to tell them apart by ear, so wonder if it is obvious if you do.
Guitarists are Sir Richard Bishop who was in Sun City Girls and Ben Chasny who shouldn't need introduction.

Cold Sun Dark Shadows
Not listened to this in a while so been great to hear it through. Texan band from the early 70s who didn't have anything released until an acetate was put on disc about 20 years ago. Jagged psych that reminds me of the Fall though i'm not sure they sound that much like them.
Most of the band went onto being Blieb Alien when they teamed up with Roky Erickson in the mid 70s.
Very recommended.

various bits of the Grateful Dead from archive.org as I sit around in the training centre.

Velvet Underground Quine Tapes disc 3
mainly cos I just read the entries for it in Unterberger's White Light/ White Heat VU chronology. Very interesting, its the disc with the takle on Black angel's death Song & Ride Into The sun and the 38 minute Sister ray/foggy Notion

Catherine Ribeiro & Alpes 9/9/73
nice avanty French prog. worth checking out I think.

Keith Hudson Hudson affair disc 1
heavy bassy dub from a dic I thought i'd lost ages ago but turned up in a cd carry case. Unfortunately I think the last few tracks have ceased to play properly.
This came out as part of a series of Trojan 2cd sets that were very well compiled and could make the basis of an essential reggae collection. Unfortunately Trojan deleted the entire series a couple of years back, which I think leaves a lot of classic stuff OOP. Though Trojan is busy releasing a lot of other stuff. Do think I prefer the old run though.

Fusioon Absolute
Spanish prog utilising a great deal of repetition. think this grows on me with every listen.

various other stuff which will no doubt come back to me later

walkman has been throwing up a lot of Pretty Things' Parachute lp as well as Sylvia Moore. Plus great Rockabilly, postpunk, jazz, funk, Italian prog psych etc etc. had a nasty shock when I realised I was without this one day this week, took it out to recharge then forgot to do so.

Reading
Dark Star Jerry Garcia oral history. Got up to about '73 in this.

Barney Hoskyns Trampled Underfoot
the led zep oral history
just read up to the band formation , about 100 pp in or something. Pretty interesting so far though Jimy Page may not be left looking fully the best

Watching
Gangster squad
comic booklike story about undercover maverick g-men going after a gangster trying to take over L.A. Touches of the old ultraviolence.
Think this is set in 1949 and there are several references to characters time in the army which presumably refers to 2nd world war 4 years earlier. I enjoyed it, but it is pretty escapist.

World Without End
medieval soap about the borough of Kingsbridge. Quite enjoyable.

Utopia
conspiracy theory laced story of search for a clairvoyant comic strip book.

Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index