Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 20 January 2013 CE

34 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 20 January 2013 CE
Jan 20, 2013, 11:10
Caravan 'Blind Dog At St Dunstans', 'Better By Far' and 'The Album' - three fine albums from Caravan's underrated mid-period when Pye Hastings' unsung ability to write great pop (yeah, pop) songs came to the fore. As such, these albums have dated far less than the classic early records that deservedly made Caravan's name. I think they're excellent, but many will disagree;

Chick Corea & Gary Burton 'Lyric Suite for Sextet' - a little wan in places, but there's plenty of charm here in this rather unusual ensemble;

Echo and the Bunnymen 'Heaven Up Here' - one of those epiphany moments for me with this one: I've had this since it came out but it never impressed me as much as 'Crocodiles' or 'Porcupine'...until this week. My, it's a belter, and the lippy one never sounded better. It's taken only 32 years to hit me;

Dr John 'In The Right Place' - super sleazy swampy blues from a golden period in Mac's distinguished career;

Haydn: String Quartet Op.50 no.6, Berg: Lyric Suite (that's two Lyric Suites in one week - just a coincidence) and Debussy: String Quartet, in a lovely self-produced CD by the Heath Quartet who impressed me at the Sage this week. As did Caravan last weekend, but I've already raved about them here...

Keep warm out there, dudes.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index