Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 13 January 2013 CE

43 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9574 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 13 January 2013 CE
Jan 13, 2013, 21:53
Outside – David Bowie
The arrival of the new Bowie single (best news of the week!!) led me to playing the LP version of Hallo Spaceboy. It sounded colossal so I gave the album a spin. Hearing it now I think it sounds like some post-industrial take on Aladdin Sane. The Voyeur of Utter Destruction (As Beauty) sounded truly fab.

Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
I love this album with the closing number More News From Nowhere sounding particularly good.

Welcome To The Pleasuredome 12” – Frankie Goes To Hollywood

S/T – Martin Rev
This was featured in The Guardian’s Hidden Treasures...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2013/jan/10/hidden-treasures-martin-rev
...so I thought I’d give it a listen. I've always thought the opening track, Mari, was really lovely.

Zinc Alloy And The Hidden Riders Of Tomorrow – Marc Bolan & T.Rex
The mentions here (and Kid Calamity posting a couple of tracks on youtube) led me playing the whole album. It wasn’t highly regarded at the time and was criticised for being over-produced but I've always been a fan. I remember playing the opening number, Venus Loon, to some friends back in the mid-70’s and them being impressed until they found out who it was!

Search & Destroy: 15 Explosive Tracks By Bands Who Were Punk Before Punk – V/A
There are some rough recordings on this one, but it has its moments, not least The Monks track.

How Much Are They 12" EP – Jah Wobble / Jaki Liebezeit / Holger Czukay
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index