43 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 13 January 2013 CE
Jan 13, 2013, 11:46
Le Stelle Di Mario Schifano
Italian artist tries to recreate the Warhol/Velvets interface by putting a band together influenced by rock & the avant garde. THis lp was their recorded legacy and has some pretty good bits in it. Consists of one side of a long jam including an italian female singer singing a folky classic and a guitar riff very reminiscent of This Old Hammer/John Henry fuzzed into submission. Plus 4 shorter songs on what was side 2.
JC had it as an lp of the month some years ago. I found it in Sister ray and grabbed it. Probably should have got the Nancy Priddy I saw there too.

Toy
I find this a lot more satisfying than the Django Django I bought at the same time. THis has a seemingly similar set of influences psych/krautrock/prog etc but just sees to come off better to me at least.
If you get this in Rough Trade they bung in a free cd of BBC recordings.

Sister Rosetta Tharpe The Original Soul Sister
I've worked my way through to disc 3 of this so far. It still has a very earthy delta blues feel to a lot of it now with added electricity to her guitar. There are also a lot of tracks with jazz bands backing her.
So she seems rather secular even raunchy throughout despite the lyrics dwelling so much on this Jesus guy. Very worth hearing if you can get over the religious aspect.

Grateful Dead
been mainly listening to these as I sit and study at the training centre. I know I listened to Veneta through plus I think one from '68,'69, and '74.
Just been reading several chapters in Dark Star the Jerry garcia oral history so now up to th eband having formed and actually being renamed the Grateful Dead after some time as The Warlocks. & he's already drifting apart from his 1st wife and met a pregnant Mountain Girl.

Sun Ra various
currently got one of the nights from the Detroit Jazz Centre playing, which gets quite spacey though still referencing much earlier jazz styles. I like his sound around this time late 70s/early 80s, gets very spacey while being electric in large doses.
Think the other one I was listening to is about mid 81. Similar things apply though I think that may have been more electric still.

several other bits and pieces which will no doubt come back to me later

Watching
The Hobbit 3d
this is even more stunning in this format though it is quite a visual feast in 2d. Still haven't worked out exactly what is and isn't in the book, will probably take me sitting down with the book to tell. Would guess some of the flashback stuff wasn't. & can't remember the Goblin fiht being in the book offhand but could be wrong.

Silver Linings Handbook
beautiful film which I missed the first 20 minutes of due to some pesky exam that I passed but didn't do as good as I might have done in. Hope i didn't throw any marks away for being conscious that I could go and see this if I got through fast enough. But I think the thing is b+w pass/fail of which I'm on the right side which a couple of people weren't. & now hopefully got the opportunity to do another related exam.
Anyway this was a beautiful film that quite transcended the genre it might be tagged with Romcom. A bit dark for that possibly? The central characters are both somewhat bipolar. Glad I saw this anyway.

The Ends of The Earth
had seen the earlier Pillars of The Earth which this is a sequel of sorts to, in as much as its set 200 years later in the same location. This is still medieval intrigue/soap and pretty enjoyable, looking forward to the rest of the story anyway, assuming that's just another 2 hours same time next week.

might add to this later.
Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index