37 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Dec 09, 2012, 11:35
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 December 2012 CE
Dec 09, 2012, 11:34
Dave Brubeck Quartet 'Dave Digs Disney', Jazz Impressions of New York; 'Jazz Impressions of Eurasia', 'Jazz Impressions of Japan', 'Countdown: Time Out In Outer Space', 'Time Changes' and 'Bravo Brubeck' - cos he was a favourite, a legend, and a pivotal part of yours truly's lifelong obsession with shiny black round things with grooves on each side;

David Sylvian 'Manafon' and 'Approaching Silence'...the former of which sent me back to Christian Fennesz' gorgeous 'Vienna' and AMM's free-as-ever but surprisingly accessible 'Newfoundland'. You gotta give old Batty credit for his adventurous choice of collaborators;

Ian McCullough 'Candleland' - well, I just dig the arrogant sod in his wannabeNewOrder pop mould;

Gong 'Live Etc' - specifically the Hillage-led stuff on side 4 - belting;

The Stooges 'The Stooges' - well, just 'We Will Fall' really: a mega mantra endured and enjoyed on an interminable Grand Central train journey in the cold. It seemed to suit the scene for some reason;

Miles Davis: both 'Live at the Blackhawk' sets - documentating a largely forgotten period between the Coltrane and Shorter eras. Highly recommended;

Janacek: both String Quartets played by the Talich Quartet (superb); Arthur Bliss conducting all five of Elgar's 'Pomp & Circumstance' Marches (I was in central London and being a working class Mackem tend to colour the place thus); and Bruno Walter's heartfelt take on Brahms' valedictory Fourth Symphony.

Keep warm out there.

Dave
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index