Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 24, 2012, 08:16
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 23 September 2012 CE
Sep 24, 2012, 08:10
spencer wrote:
Soo.. repeat plays of: As Time Goes By - The Best of Little Feat.... Hadn't listened to it in years, and renewed aquaintance with tracks I used to love. Some I still do. The old Peel favourite Willin' is still absolutely wonderful, one of the best engineered things I know. An absolute joy on 'phones. I know nothing about tech and terminology, but it's just..right. I understand why John loved it. Forty years old now, ulp. And then there's Long Distance Love and Lowell's 20 Million Things. Good record.

That is an excellent compilation. Three post Lowell selections on the cd version is three too many for me but the vinyl is nigh on perfect as a sampler. No "Somebody's Leaving" on either version though which seems strange given how far "out" it goes. What is so loveable about Lowell George is that he brought the same Country yearning into Rock as Gram Parsons and wasn't one for letting casual misogyny slip into his songs. I think that is why his music has lasted though 40 years - Country music that is politically liberal and, when it comes to relationships, his songs tell you that heartbreak an equal opportunities employer! None of that "devil woman done me wrong" nonsense. Though why he isn't as iconic or as influential as Parsons is a mystery. Probably because Parsons' oeuvre is easier to ape and Little Feat music is fiendishly tricky to play unless you are a really really good musician who hasn't had his or her soul sucked out by the session circuit.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index