Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Sep 24, 2012, 00:05
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 23 September 2012 CE
Sep 23, 2012, 23:02
Swans The Seer
while this is both intense and heavy it also seems to be a lot more melodic than you might think of the band as being. That might have more to do with associations with the band up to Children of God though.
Anyway a great studio effort based on a few numbers that have evolved live over the last couple of years and will presumably continue to evolve as they are further played live. I'm not sure what they've done about the female vocals live though. Studio sees the return of Jarboe in a guest role on a number of the tracks plus one offs by Karen O and the couple from Low.
I haven't heard the official live lp the limited edition of which helped fund the recording of this lp but on the strength of what's here that is something I want to remedy.

Leonard Cohen Songs From A Room
The 2nd lp by probably the world's most famous maudlin poet. I've heard this isn't liked as much as the lp either side of it. For me it is one that has several tracks that have buzzed through my head quite regularly for the last couple of decades. Could be cos this is the first lp I picked up by him and was the only one I had for years. But things like You Know Who I Am are still favourite songs of mine.
There is some instrument played on several tracks here that almost lays a layer of acoustic fuzz in its drone. Really like the atmosphere on here anyway.
Also been listening to Songs of Love and Hate but not as much as the above.

CTI ALLstars California Concert
especially Red Clay from the first disc.
For me the best parts of this are when you hear the interplay of the electric/rhythm instruments. Here these are George Benson on guitar in a more gritty style than I've heard him before and thankfully not singing; Ron Carter playing an electric bass, I've seen him described here as pretty anonymous but I'm finding him right in the groove; a young Billy Cobham on drums, I don't think he's really showing much recognisable style or powerhousing the drums but what he's doinfg is effective in tandem with the others here; Johnny Hammond is playing the organ which gave him his name & Airto Moreira is on various percussion. There are also several horn players Freddie Hubbard on trumpet, Stanley Turrentine on tenor sax and Hubert Laws on flute. While Hubbard and Turrentine do both shine in moments here I do definitely think it is the interlocked rhythm section that is most delectable.

James Brown Singles Vols 6, 7 & 8
a run that takes one from 69-73 and finds some of JB's hardest funk mixed in with some other stuff. Some of which might be considered misguided but not as much as later on.
Vol 7's first disc is the one with the Collins brothers featured heavily and is pretty essential music, though one could also consider picking up the Funk Power '70 set for several of the same cuts and some stuff that wasn't considered for single release.
I'm also considering getting hold of Vol 9 which is probably about as late as one can safely go with JB, it sees the last great band he had together falling apart under his control and leaving him. But is great dance music.
Some of these sets can be a tad repetitive as various versions of singles are ordered in succession.

CUlt of Dom kellor e.p. vol 3
nice psych stuff that I think I need to hear more of . The band were recently selling all 3 of their e.ps for £10 plus postage to help them fund a European tour, I'm not sure if that's still available.

Frank Zappa Chunga's Revenge
There is some really great instrumental stuff on here a coupl of ok bluesy tracks with great guitar and the beginning of the puerile sex stuff as ex-Turtles Flo & Eddie appear for the first time.
The new remaster does sound pretty good but I don't love all this lp as much as I might. It was apparently where Lester Bangs gave up on him too. I am interested in hearing some of the later music but I do dislike the puerile smut.

Metallica ... and Justice For All
became interested in hearing some of this stuff because I picked up the Mick Wall Enter Night bio in a sale for 99c last week and couldn't put it down for the first while. He isn't really into the lp because of the lack of echo but I kind of like it, hadn't heard it in years not sure how often I'll revisit it.

Ginger Baker & Salt live Frankfurt 72
interesting set cos this is the band the members of Blo! passed through before they became Blo!. They had been together for years in various guises including the Afrocollection who can be seen playing with him here in Nigeria http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YKBUbzQjNg&feature=share
Sound is pretty decent for the time while not being anywhere near studio. Nice psychy-african stuff with plenty of Berkley Jones's guitar on it.

plenty of other stuff which will no doubt come back to me later.
Still hours of surprises on my walkman, today including Lotte lenya, various Echo & the Bunnymen, Johnny Burnette, Jerry Lee Lewis(just after I was thinking about him for another reason too), Vertical Slit, Gun Club, Cramps etc

Reading
Mr Tambourine Man the John Einarson bio of gene Clark who while being a great performer and writer was destroyed by the pressures of fame and a combination of drugs and alcohol.
It was great while reading this to find out that Roadmaster the lp from sessions aborted thanks to sly stone's contributions to the studio bill & only released at the time in a flat sounding mix on a Dutch branch of a U.S. label has finally been released by Sundazed from the original studio tapes.

The Air Conditioned Nightmare by Henry Miller
Miller having just returned from years in Europe takes a cross the U.S. roadtrip making notes that lead to this book. It';s taken me way too long to read this, I like Miller.

Watching
Crank
Looks like somebody saw the film Speed and thought oh yes, I can make that more adult themed by removing the bus and substituting a human body for the vehicle that can't slow down. Also instead of having him take speed we'll substitute another drug.
Very B but still pretty watchable. Just ridiculous fopr a couple of minor details like if somebody really was running around L.A. in a hospital gown with their ass hanging out surely they'd get stopped way before they stole a police motorbike and especially after they crash it into a sidewalk cafe table and still manage to get away with it again.
I mean I do like my Bmovies to make some concession to reality.

Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index