38 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Sep 24, 2012, 13:15
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 23 September 2012 CE
Sep 24, 2012, 06:04
Frustrating times in Much Twattering In T'Marsh....was bought in at eleventh hour to sort out a Lottery funded project just before funding deadline which turned out to be waaay more complex than I'd been lead to believe, no money to fund stuff outside brief which turned out to be essential, effectively working gratis for three days when a teeny weeny bit of dosh would've been nice, mouths to feed n'all, long hours repeatedly under floodlights, finishing after midnight.. too tired to listen to anything, etc. Job finished, hand shook, signed off in seconds, very happy recipients...Time to relax, chill, absorb sounds.. and then something fell over, knocked my player from its perch, crunch on floor. Eight years old, owed me nothing, but could do without the extra expenditure at the mo.. Then found that the mortally wounded thing would still play one cd, nothing else. Perhaps because it's very elderly and scratched and can fool the laser into clicking into gear, dunno. Soo.. repeat plays of: As Time Goes By - The Best of Little Feat.... Hadn't listened to it in years, and renewed aquaintance with tracks I used to love. Some I still do. The old Peel favourite Willin' is still absolutely wonderful, one of the best engineered things I know. An absolute joy on 'phones. I know nothing about tech and terminology, but it's just..right. I understand why John loved it. Forty years old now, ulp. And then there's Long Distance Love and Lowell's 20 Million Things. Good record. Apart from that, its been youtube for 1) There Must Be A Better World Somewhere - B B King........really this is a Dr John record with B B the icing on top. Mac produces, composed it all, provides most of the band. Anyone wary of King should still try this. Six tracks, five very good/superb; lovely slow rolling piano, flowing sounds, great sax, fine guitar. The track Born Again Human is..something else, and means a lot to me. http://youtube.com/#/watch?v=g-BVrqUFg_c&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dg-BVrqUFg_c ......and 2) Bob James Three... I'm not alone here in loving stuff on the CTI label. Great sound and musicianship. Some may regard Bob James music as being a bit cheesy, MOR. To me this is absolutely top fromage. There is a cd set on Amazon called Bob James 123Bj4 - The Classic Albums. What it says on the tin. I'm replacing my vinyl. About £6. Buy. The track on Three called Women Of Ireland is so good it is spooky. Listen to the beautifully economic guitar solo from Eric Gale. Lie down with the person you love and play this http://youtube.com/#/watch?v=8XO8_wH8GsY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8XO8_wH8GsY  Seven new cd's worth of Necks I can't play :( Boy, is the new player going to get some hammering. Just as long as it doesn't go crunch.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index