Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 September 2012 CE

52 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 September 2012 CE
Sep 09, 2012, 17:40
The Beach Boys "That's Why God Made The Radio" -- instant "ooo" factor from Brian Wilson tunes plus Mike Love vocals and those "brothers harmonies" (though who all is singing? Aren't at least 2 of them dead now?) Unfortunately none of the tunes are particularly memorable, and it is your grandpa's version of "rock" (if that). The primary appeal is "classic textures", you might say. Damn those Wilsons can harmonize!!

Mission of Burma "UnSound" -- think this could be their 2nd best of 4 new albums this century. Expanding the sound slightly with some trumpets in the mix, otherwise sound the same as 1981. Love em, might be seeing them in concert twice this month!

Ty Segall Band "Slaughterhouse" -- not blown away by his records I'd heard before this, saw him live and that did blow me away. The show I saw seems to have featured a lot of these songs. So I'd agree with the consensus this could be his best yet.

Thee Oh Sees "Putrifiers II" -- on first listening, not digging as much as the two albums from last year, but do dig that all three are a bit different from each other. Looking forward to seeing them with Ty Segall later in the month.

Blues Control "Valley Tangents" -- one of my favorite of those "tapey underground" bands, now on Drag City label (nice).

Liars "WIXIW" -- think they've been listening to lots of Kraftwerk recently. Not bad, but not great. I wonder if they'll ever equal their first three albums again . . .

Ladyhawke "Anxiety" -- poppish techno rock thing that has a few fantastically catchy tunes on it. Try "Gone Gone Gone" . . . (Like this more than I should!)

Ariel Pink's HG "Mature Themes" -- listened to once, first impression not as good as the previous one, but first impressions are often wrong. ;-)

Deerhoof "Breakup Song" -- does the title mean this is their last album I wonder? Actually on first listen I like this more than their last two. (Real short -- only about 30 minutes.)

Redd Kross "Researching The Blues" -- funniest album title of the year, hands down. However sounds too overproduced for my tastes. First new album in, I dunno, 20 years? Still McDonald brothers rockin the 70's, a bit more on the power pop end this time (Cheap Trick ahem).

Racoo-oo-oon self-titled 2008 LP -- nice used vinyl score, didn't even realize it was on Not Not Fun til I looked it up (no label info on record). The guys from WET HAIR & others in a "free folk commune jam" setting.

Flash "In The Can" -- even better Yes-soundalike than Starcastle!

Deodato "2" -- I will buy anything on the CTI label.

Video:

"Last Days Here" documentary on Bobby Liebling. Pretty depressing, harrowing stuff really (though with a happy ending, at least as of 2010). The resurrection of Pentagram is remarkable enough even without "peeling the scabs off" (literally), but after seeing this it's even more amazing. To think that when Cope was first writing about them a decade ago (when I caught wind of Pentagram and probably a lot of you too), Bobby was basically shooting smack, smoking crack and "scratching at coke bugs" in his parent's basement. For years and years, all day long. It wasn't really til around 2009ish that Pentagram actually became a "successful" band for the first time -- now that Bobby is clean, they can actually tour! (Apparently most 2000's-era gigs before then were no-shows or OD's.) Minor complaint: not really any good footage of the band playing live, or at least it doesn't capture the stage magic of Bobby Liebling. He is an amazingly compelling performer to watch in person -- I've never seen anyone use their EYES like that (it's really like you feel he is staring right at you, wherever you are in the room). Absolutely without a doubt, he coulda been a contender, and it seems that's what tore him up for all those years (he blew it, bigtime). But he's still alive and doing it again. One hell of an "it's never too late" story!! And a rare glimpse at the sensitive side of the doom scene(?!)

http://www.blodelddod.se/blog/wp-content/uploads/BED-Liebling.png
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index