52 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Edited Sep 09, 2012, 10:42
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 September 2012 CE
Sep 09, 2012, 10:41
Gentle Giant 'Free Hand' - a recent phase of discovery and rediscovery where this eternally uncool band is concerned has revealed a trajectory from a policy of trying to get as many weird and crap sounding instruments onto a record as possible on the early albums (forgetting decent tunes in the process) through to poor pop and substandard guitar-based AOR on the late ones. But in between came this pure gem from 1975 where conventional instrumentation, controlled time signature abuse and - whisper it quietly - some damned catchy riffs and snatches of melodic distinction were dominant. Imagine Supertramp with attitude. A million miles from 'Kites' too, though that's not necessarily a good thing in my book;

Keith Jarrett 'Hymns Spheres' - A re-read of Ian Carr's well-written but overtly sycophantic Jarrett biog has sent me back to some long-unplayed records: a mostly enjoyable experience particularly where 'In The Light', the European Quartet and early solo piano sets are concerned. But the real wow moment came with this quite magnificent and unique double LP of baroque organ improvisations where Jarrett's innovative employment of organ stops produces sounds more akin to early Tangerine Dream and Popol Vuh than anything remotely old fashioned or Bachian. Desperately needs a proper CD reissue;

Anthony Braxton 'Alto Saxophone Improvisations 1979' - Braxton, even more than Jarrett, divides opinion with his gargantuan back catalogue. Patience reveals his genius and charm, and never more so than on this incredible 2LP set of unaccompanied sax solos which, although labelled "improvisations" (for that's what they undoubtedly are) sound every bit as predetermined as the hundreds of numbered, untitled compositions that made his name;

The Unwinding Hours 'Afterlives' - gorgeous sophomore collection of songs from the still smouldering ashes of the mighty Aereogramme. If you dug Glasgow's finest as I did, you'll freak out on this;

Also played and enjoyed

Spooky Tooth 'You Broke My Heart So I Busted Your Jaw' (what a great vocalist Mike Harrison is)
Dave Brubeck Quartet 'In Europe' and 'Jazz Impressions of USA'
Johnny Cash 'Man In Black' (the 1971 album, not the hits compilation)
Incredible String Band 'U'
Tyrannosaurus Rex 'My People Were Fair'
Haydn String Quartets Op.64 & 76 (Tatrai Quartet)

Cheers all

Dave
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index