Alio Die & Zeit - Il Giardino Ermeneutico
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 09, 2012, 12:10
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 September 2012 CE
Sep 09, 2012, 09:03
Marillion - Sounds That Can't Be Made
If only. Steve Hogarth is a deeply sincere, committed and often brilliant writer. When it comes to bridging the personal to the politcal and the metaphysical he's no John Berger but he pisses on the Martins and Bonos of this world and when he hits the spot there's a rare magic at work. After reading some backstory to the making of this record I was hoping for an aural equivalent to "Punishment Park" but this is the sound of second generation Prog hitting a big fat brick wall. It has been on the cards for a while and recent Steve Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Hogarth Barbieri, Storm Corrosion records tell the same kind of story. They all Make-A-Prog-Noise-Here but that's the antithesis of Progressive. We are long overdue a Progressive new wave that retains the focus on composition and on the harmonic complexity of jazz and symphonic music but also expands on the evolutions/revolutions in music since 82. The occasional nod to Talk Talk, 90s U2 and the sounds made by the Radiohead of 96/97 (such as that which we have here) is not quite what I have in mind. Many notes are wasted where epic space and greater simplicity might have been more effective as would matching sonic fury to moral outrage. Half the fun of this music is finding a way into unfamiliar territory over weeks and months. This album is as unfamiliar as an identikit 21st century British high street, neatly built and easy to get around but it's no Portmeirion. I am not sure there's enough going on here to bring me back. Prog pedestrianised.

John Martyn - Live at Leeds (Deluxe Edition)
John Martyn - Ain't No Saint
Island's efforts have been a bit hit n miss with the Martyn catalogue. The expanded "Solid Air" and "One World" (like "John Barleycorn", the Free catalogue and "Catch A Fire") were well worth their efforts and my money. "Live at Leeds" however is a travesty. The original six track album, currently only available in the form of an ugly, brittle Voiceprint cd transfer fluffed up with third-rate bonus tracks, is a truly astonishing record. The Island reissue removes music from the original release ("Outside In", `"Solid Air" and `"Rather Be The Devil" i.e. all that which was not recorded in Leeds at all) and replaces it, to the detriment of posterity / Martyn's legacy, with the tracks needed to offer a complete version the Leeds show. Sadly the Leeds set is patchy as fuck (as Martyn often was live in that period) and the original album is neutered for the sake of the trainspotter's love of completeness. Put this out if you must but don't pass it off as an expansion of the original.

"Ain't No Saint" has a similar problem. I bought it for the unreleased 70s live material but it actually achieves the near impossible; through the lens of an over-thorough career overview reliant on too many alternate versions of core tunes, the compiler makes Martyn's music seem dull and workman-like rather than shimmering and transcendent. The old Island two disc set "Sweet Little Mysteries", drawing only on the official releases, told the tale of his career with far greater grace but without any back-of-the-cupboard rarities no existing fan was going to buy it.

Herbert von Karajan & BPO - Schoenberg : Verklärte Nacht
Alison Balsom - Caprice
Keith Jarrett - Spheres
John Coltrane - The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings
John Coltrane - The Complete Africa/Brass Sessions
John Coltrane - Stellar Regions
Nina Simone At Town Hall
Fritz Reiner - Chicago Symphony - Strauss : Also Sprach Zarathustra, Op. 30
Chicago Symphony Orchestra & Fritz Reiner - Bartok : Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta
theglueman
theglueman
38 posts

Sep 09, 2012, 10:27
Obsessively listening to Popol Vuh for a couple of weeks. Other highlights -

Barbara - Göttingen. There's a great clip on YouTube from 1967, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkwaT2mLrtA

Girls At Our Best - Politics! Wonderful post-punk subversion

And I must get round to ordering Richard Moult - Yclypt. I thought his Celestial King for a Day was one of the more interesting releases from last year. There's a clip from the new one at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Le45Gql1A&feature=player_embedded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Edited Sep 09, 2012, 10:42
Sep 09, 2012, 10:41
Gentle Giant 'Free Hand' - a recent phase of discovery and rediscovery where this eternally uncool band is concerned has revealed a trajectory from a policy of trying to get as many weird and crap sounding instruments onto a record as possible on the early albums (forgetting decent tunes in the process) through to poor pop and substandard guitar-based AOR on the late ones. But in between came this pure gem from 1975 where conventional instrumentation, controlled time signature abuse and - whisper it quietly - some damned catchy riffs and snatches of melodic distinction were dominant. Imagine Supertramp with attitude. A million miles from 'Kites' too, though that's not necessarily a good thing in my book;

Keith Jarrett 'Hymns Spheres' - A re-read of Ian Carr's well-written but overtly sycophantic Jarrett biog has sent me back to some long-unplayed records: a mostly enjoyable experience particularly where 'In The Light', the European Quartet and early solo piano sets are concerned. But the real wow moment came with this quite magnificent and unique double LP of baroque organ improvisations where Jarrett's innovative employment of organ stops produces sounds more akin to early Tangerine Dream and Popol Vuh than anything remotely old fashioned or Bachian. Desperately needs a proper CD reissue;

Anthony Braxton 'Alto Saxophone Improvisations 1979' - Braxton, even more than Jarrett, divides opinion with his gargantuan back catalogue. Patience reveals his genius and charm, and never more so than on this incredible 2LP set of unaccompanied sax solos which, although labelled "improvisations" (for that's what they undoubtedly are) sound every bit as predetermined as the hundreds of numbered, untitled compositions that made his name;

The Unwinding Hours 'Afterlives' - gorgeous sophomore collection of songs from the still smouldering ashes of the mighty Aereogramme. If you dug Glasgow's finest as I did, you'll freak out on this;

Also played and enjoyed

Spooky Tooth 'You Broke My Heart So I Busted Your Jaw' (what a great vocalist Mike Harrison is)
Dave Brubeck Quartet 'In Europe' and 'Jazz Impressions of USA'
Johnny Cash 'Man In Black' (the 1971 album, not the hits compilation)
Incredible String Band 'U'
Tyrannosaurus Rex 'My People Were Fair'
Haydn String Quartets Op.64 & 76 (Tatrai Quartet)

Cheers all

Dave
carlyclub
carlyclub
128 posts

Sep 09, 2012, 11:53
Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum
Marty Robbins - Gunfighter Ballads & Trail Songs
R Stevie Moore - Lo Fi High Fives
War - The World Is a Ghetto
Dr John - Gris Gris
Ray Price - The Night Life
Death Grips - The Money Store
Culture - Natty Dread Taking Over
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Edited Sep 09, 2012, 21:59
Sep 09, 2012, 13:22
Desmond Dekker - The Best Of

The Godz - Contact High With The Godz
The Godz - Godz 2

Bobbie Gentry - The Delta Sweete

Vaughan Williams - Fantasias on Tallis & Greensleeves/Norfolk Rhapsody/In The Fenn Country

Stereolab - Switched On
Stereolab - Peng!

Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain

Paul Simon - The Rhythm Of The Saints

of Arrowe Hill - Love Letters, Hate Mail & The Haunted Self
of Arrowe Hill - Suddenly At Home...& Other Rumours Of Misadventure

Beethoven - Symphonies No.1 & 2

Linda Ronstadt - Hand Sown...Home Grown
Linda Ronstadt - Silk Purse

Elvis Presley - Elvis Is Back!
Elvis Presley - G.I. Blues
Elvis Presley - Flaming Star
Elvis Presley - Something For Everybody
Elvis Presley - Such A Night In Pearl Harbour

Sagittarius - Present Tense

Mr Fox - The Gipsy

Bruce Smeaton/Gheorghe Zamfir etc - Picnic At Hanging Rock OST

Michael Nesmith & The First National Band - Nevada Fighter
Michael Nesmith & The Second National Band - Tantamount To Treason Vol. 1

Laurie Anderson - Big Science

Elton John - The Captain & The Kid
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Sep 09, 2012, 14:33
Perhaps I was making too sweeping a generallisation in my praise of Ain't No Saint in StOL last week, Ian. Must admit when I play it it is the live stuff that I unerringly head for...thinking about it, my John listening is almost exclusively live these days. Coincidentally I chanced upon Leeds earlier today in a pile when hunting for something else. Maybe later after my labours..
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Sep 09, 2012, 15:07
Fitter Stoke wrote:

Keith Jarrett 'Hymns Spheres' - A re-read of Ian Carr's well-written but overtly sycophantic Jarrett biog has sent me back to some long-unplayed records: a mostly enjoyable experience particularly where 'In The Light', the European Quartet and early solo piano sets are concerned. But the real wow moment came with this quite magnificent and unique double LP of baroque organ improvisations where Jarrett's innovative employment of organ stops produces sounds more akin to early Tangerine Dream and Popol Vuh than anything remotely old fashioned or Bachian. Desperately needs a proper CD reissue;

indeed, great stuff
cd is abridged if I remember

Peter Hamel did something similar in the 80's

It is amazing how seriously Jarrett
(and others took) himself in the 70's
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Sep 09, 2012, 15:51
K T Tunstall - Eye to the Telescope

Velvet Underground - VU+Nico

Buddy Curtess and the Grasshoppers*

Dormanu*

and stuff

*just for MachineryElf :)
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Sep 09, 2012, 16:29
Sep 09, 2012, 16:24
Foghat: first seven, underated classic 70's hard rock, great for driving, with its eye to the US musical landscape as much as the Clash

Hendrix: Are You Experienced (No Re-1 version) Holy Grail
does seem to have more air and punch to it

Edgar Froese: 4CD Solo Collection: complements nicely classic era Tangerine Dream, nobody does space better

Rock Island: S/T nice 1970 US Hard Rock with Beatlesquese harmonies and musicality, later became Rain

Incredible Hog: Volume 1 +4, good '70 UK hard rock, not much guitar carnage, but spare bass driven muscular sound

David Kuckhermann: http://www.youtube.com/user/DavidKuckhermann

Meat Puppets: First 5, interesting this time around i am surprised at how arty
the guitar intros/bass work is/are
alot of pere ubu-ish cadences and Discipline era King Crimson sonics
the bass work is very unrootsy/unswinging, very 80's hyperkinetic/herky jerky
juxtaposed against the guitar work which is very American roots grounded, still I find their live work their strength:
http://www.wohlers.org/puppets/
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index