Music You Just Can't GET

Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

There is nothing to Get
Jun 04, 2012, 23:19
I hate the term "get it", when it comes to musical tastes. It makes it seem like if only there were some other piece of information or change in our attitude, and we would also acquire this most vague acquisition.

What is this "it" people speak of, when I complain that the noise band is a load of crap and the fans proclaim "well, you just don't get it." It's almost as vague as the terms people use to describe sound.

I'm here to so, there is no "it", nothing to get, you like it or you don't, and if you end up liking it later, well you didn't all of a sudden get it, you just changed your mind, or it took a while to sink in. Some things aren't as accessible as others, but some things are near indigestible.
Debaser
Debaser
241 posts

Re: There is nothing to Get
Jun 05, 2012, 00:16
Citizensmurf wrote:

and if you end up liking it later, well you didn't all of a sudden get it, you just changed your mind, or it took a while to sink in. Some things aren't as accessible as others,

That's what happened to me and The Smiths - I couldn't abide them but over time have come to really quite enjoy them :D
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Music You Just Can't GET
Jun 05, 2012, 03:39
I simply don't get most any 'alternative' band that came after Nirvana, especially anything EMO. Most of it is just contrived or unlistenable. I just talked to a friend who is a club owner, and he had the same view as myself. Just a bunch of stupid kids who want to be REM/Joy Division/Ramones but with zero-inspiration and increased narcissism. Why does it come out sounding like blase hash? The way critics describe this crap it sounds like I should like it, but it only sounds good on paper.
espsummer
340 posts

Jun 05, 2012, 05:24
i agree with elvis costello and tom waits. I've also never gotten into the talking heads even though i don't hate them. Strangely i've always thought that people who like Tom Waits almost always like Elvis Costello, the Talking Heads and the Clash. There has to be some formula of relation there.
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Jun 05, 2012, 06:19
Mr Blue Sky - 35 years of ever increasing loathing. Oh how i hate the radio on a hot summers day.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Jun 05, 2012, 06:26
espsummer wrote:
Strangely i've always thought that people who like Tom Waits almost always like Elvis Costello, the Talking Heads and the Clash. There has to be some formula of relation there.

Nope, I'm an exception there, I like all of the above (though I can take or leave The Clash tbh) but I really, really can't stand Elvis Costello and I never have.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Edited Jun 05, 2012, 08:37
Jun 05, 2012, 07:59
Vybik Jon wrote:
As the person who started this thread and then posted:

"LOL! It's all subjective and this is not a serious thread. Good man :-)))"

you're very po-faced when it comes The Beatles, aren'tcha?

Ha! LOL! I knew you'd go for that, Jon. Not at all. Each to their own, as I say, hence the smile. To be honest, I have no problem with people not liking them or any other band that I may like. The only thing that does me puzzle re The Beatles though, is when people don't accept their massive musical and cultural importance, regardless of actually liking the songs or not. That's a separate issue really.

:-)

ps: do you have shares in the term po-faced ? ;-))
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jun 05, 2012, 08:00
bubblehead2 wrote:
Mr Blue Sky - 35 years of ever increasing loathing. Oh how i hate the radio on a hot summers day.

I'm with you on that, last summer my eldest decided he liked ELO and this tune in particular,I now know there are songs that you can never learn to love [or even find slightly tolerable]
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Re: There is nothing to Get
Jun 05, 2012, 08:00
Citizensmurf wrote:
I hate the term "get it", when it comes to musical tastes. It makes it seem like if only there were some other piece of information or change in our attitude, and we would also acquire this most vague acquisition.

What is this "it" people speak of, when I complain that the noise band is a load of crap and the fans proclaim "well, you just don't get it." It's almost as vague as the terms people use to describe sound.

I'm here to so, there is no "it", nothing to get, you like it or you don't, and if you end up liking it later, well you didn't all of a sudden get it, you just changed your mind, or it took a while to sink in. Some things aren't as accessible as others, but some things are near indigestible.

Yes, but it makes for a simpler thread title.
rockhopper
275 posts

Jun 05, 2012, 08:01
Xmas songs. Loathe and detest Xmas songs. Radio off for the duration of the whole damn thing at the first hint of one.
(Except one. 'Run, run, Rudolph' by the Jets from the live compilation 'Xmas at the Patti Pavillion' 1972, which is 3 minutes of the best rock 'n roll ANYWHERE!)
Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index