BBC4 Friday 1st June : "Punk Britannia" & "We Who Wait: TV Smith & the Adverts"

50 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Jun 17, 2012, 20:46
Re: BBC4 Friday 15th JUne Post-punk
Jun 17, 2012, 20:04
...MES has been like that for years. Actually thought he was pretty together and pleasant on the doc.

Thought the Cabs, TG and some of the industrial type stuff could have been featured.
Thing is there was only an hour to fill - so much stuff that could have been featured. Crass, for instance, need a doc to themselves. It was like surfing tv stations.
Could have mentioned the 'punks not dead' scene a bit more - GBH, Exploited, Vice Squad, Anti Pasti, Chron Gen etc rather than resign it to the dustbin with the statement about punks tramping out with dogs on string. ...but that's BBC4 for you!

Mark stewart likes his fig rolls.

Not bothered about new pop not being featured - who cares?
As for BBC 4 getting too retro - well it was a programme about music from the past and I'm sure we all like a bit of retro otherwise the interest for making the programme wouldn't have been there.

Could have done without the gang of 4 - never liked them but just personal taste really. Agreed with Bushell on that one which is probably the only time I've agreed with someone from Noels house party.

Good idea about a programme about british psych in the late 70s - then the liverpool bands would fit into that. Can't think of any of the late 70s/ early 80s liverpool bands - i.e. bunnymen, wah, teardrops that were forward thinking enough to be on post punk doc - they were all 60s or pop tinged in a way - even early OMD. Maybe dalek i or pink military but guess they were too obscure for the doc.

Didn't get the music or lyrical relevance of orange juice 'rip it up' - liked it at the time but it was a bit later than post punk - don't see any difference between that and curiosity killed the cat.

Overall very entertaining doc and got me popping out today to get the Radio On DVD.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index