Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
BBC4 Friday 1st June : "Punk Britannia" & "We Who Wait: TV Smith & the Adverts"

50 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: BBC4 Friday 1st June : "Punk Britannia" & "We Who Wait: TV Smith & the Adverts"
Jun 14, 2012, 18:19
Sin Agog wrote:
These ____ Britannia docs have a tendency to ignore whole swathes of musical history in favour of whoever they can get to interview. Even gettin' some talking head to rattle off a short list which includes the word "Garage" would be better than just ignoring it altogether. Don't even recall the Ramones were mentioned while half the show was on Pub fucking Rock. (Maybe other people are more interested in that than I am).

The Punk Brittania series seemed to have lived up to it's title so far by focusiing exclusively on the british punk scene. Apart from a nod to the brief period in which Malcolm McLaren managed the New York Dolls - which only seemed to be featured with regard to how he brought them over to England - there seemed to be no mention of US punk at all.

The final instalment - the one I'll be setting my digibox to record due to playing the Mick Farren-headlined shindig in Brighton (yeah, unsubtle plug, I know!) - is the one I'm looking forwrd to the most, though. As someone who wasn't even in my teens during punk's first wave, late 1978/early 1979 is when things started to get really interesting for me.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index