Register
Unsung Forum »
BBC4 Friday 1st June : "Punk Britannia" & "We Who Wait: TV Smith & the Adverts"

50 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jun 07, 2012, 17:12
Re: BBC4 Friday 1st June : "Punk Britannia" & "We Who Wait: TV Smith & the Adverts"
Jun 07, 2012, 17:11
IanB wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
One thing (of the many) I liked about that TV Smith docu was how he seemed to look so resolutely 'Unpunk', apart from maybe a few jacket modifications, compared to his peers. I admired that.

My recollection of that time is that most people didn't look like Sid or Paul Simonon or, worse still, some Kings Road caricature with a mohican. The male members of the Adverts or the blokes out of say TRB or The Vibrators were much more typical of what real people looked like and even that was the glamorous end! I think that Janet Street Porter footage of the Pistols and the audience misrepresents what it was really like on an average night at the Nashville or the Marquee or whatever. From what I remember there were more long hairs with beards at punk gigs than people with our version of the Richard Hell look.

I do remember a kid at our junior school when we were about 10, Richard B, saw, I think it was, the Nationwide piece on punk (the horror etc) and came into school the next day with green food colouring in his hair and a swastika on his forehead. What was brilliant about that was that his dad was actually German! haha!

I also remember the "Punk: The New Wave" bubble gum trading cards that didn't take long to appear down the newsagents.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index