BBC4 Friday 1st June : "Punk Britannia" & "We Who Wait: TV Smith & the Adverts"

50 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Re: BBC4 Friday 15th JUne Post-punk
Jun 17, 2012, 12:22
I liked it...though the state of MES and the current quite boring sounding PIL didn't do much for me. It looks like they filmed PIL and The Pop Group - they should have done some more post-punk sorts who are making current records (Wire, The Fall, Carter/Tutti, Viv Albertine, Wobble/Levene, Killing Joke, Magazine, Jerry Dammers Arkestra thing etc - how much would it have cost to film a few bands play some songs?).

John Lydon gave good interview, though Mark Stewart was the star and nice bits featured Bobby Gillespie (liked his point about Dexys-Pogues-Specials), Dammers, Viv Albertine (briefly), Cosey Fanni Tutti (briefly), Daniel Miller etc. Newman & Lewis were fun too - this did make me think Post-Punk Brittania would have been an interesting series in itself.

New Pop was hardly touched upon and dismissed as pop (or that's how it felt) and could they not get an interview with Green Gartside?

I liked Mark Stewart's ironic dig at some fat sort on BBC4 telling you about the past too...

BBC4 is getting too retro and while this year I've been unpacking boxes of stuff and rediscovering the joys of the back-catalogue/not thinking much of new stuff, I'm wondering if I should make a resolution and only listen to/buy new stuff to avoid becoming a look-back bore?

Thought the reformed version of The Pop Group sounded great - can't wait for the new record and a tour...

I guess BBC4 should do something on Psychedelia, the genre that never goes away and one episode should focus on British acts from the late 70s onwards who embraced it: The Teardrops, The Stranglers, the Bunnymen, Psychic TV, Dukes of Stratosphear etc....
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index