Toni Torino
2299 posts

BBC4 Friday 1st June : "Punk Britannia" & "We Who Wait: TV Smith & the Adverts"
May 24, 2012, 13:35
All looks rather good!

Punk Britannia

BBC Four 9:00pm to 10:00pm

Punk Britannia, Episode 1: Pre-Punk 1972-1976

Opener of a three-part documentary series about the history of punk rock. The film explores the road to punk in Britain, which begins in the early 70s with a young generation already conscious that they have 'missed the 60s party' and are stuck in a Britain heading for economic woes and dwindling opportunities. But before the punk generation finally arises to have its say during 1976 come a group of pub rockers, a generation of bands sandwiched between 60s hippies and mid-70s punks who will help pave the way towards the short, sharp shock of punk, only to be elbowed aside by the emergence of the Sex Pistols, the Clash et al. Pub rock set the template - small venues, fast retro rock n roll and bags of attitude typified bands like Dr Feelgood, Ducks Deluxe, Kilburn and the High Roads and Eddie and the Hotrods. Featuring unseen archive footage and interviews with John Lydon, Paul Weller, Mick Jones, Wilko Johnson, Nick Lowe, Adam Ant, Brian James and many more.

We Who Wait: TV Smith & the Adverts

BBC Four 11:00pm to 12:00am

Film which tells the story of punk band the Adverts and the continuing music career of their former frontman TV Smith. He formed the Adverts in late '76 with his girlfriend Gaye and press criticism of the band's alleged musical ineptitude was answered by a defiant debut single, One Chord Wonders. They secured their first chart hit with the macabre punk classic, Gary Gilmore's Eyes, but soon suffered an acrimonious collapse. Pushed to the margins of the music industry, Smith nonetheless continued a dogged struggle to make a living as a singer and songwriter. After years of bad luck, personal loss and failed bands, Smith's persistence paid dividends and he carved out a career as a solo artist and troubadour. The film is a testament to one of UK music's great outsiders, featuring stills, archive footage and contributions from former band members, collaborators, critics and friends including Smith, Gaye Advert, Brian James, Richard Strange, John Robb, Greil Marcus, Henry Rollins and Miles.
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Re: BBC4 Friday 1st June : "Punk Britannia" & "We Who Wait: TV Smith & the Adverts"
May 24, 2012, 14:36
Both look excellent. Our digi-recorder-thingy will be set in readiness.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: BBC4 Friday 1st June : "Punk Britannia" & "We Who Wait: TV Smith & the Adverts"
May 24, 2012, 15:35
Sounds good.

I wish Lucy Worsely was presenting it though.
ToneStone
ToneStone
1768 posts

Edited May 24, 2012, 15:44
May 24, 2012, 15:44
I love Gaye Advert
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

May 24, 2012, 15:45
There will be three episodes of "Punk Britannia" - June 1st - pre punk, June 8th - punk - and June 15th - post punk

I'll have to see the June 1st shows on iplayer as I'll be playing with ATV at the 12 Bar Club that night - Mark P was interviewed for the series

I managed to see the second episode at a special preview screening last week - much more informative than your average punk doc - if the rest of the series is like that one I would thoroughly recommend it
Incoming Traveller
Incoming Traveller
218 posts

Re: BBC4 Friday 1st June :
May 26, 2012, 17:20
Elegant Chaos' remarks give me hope that this series will be good. It's great to have a doc on The Adverts and Mark P being interviewed is also a sign that it's not all the obvious suspects being wheeled out again. However, I don't believe a serious look at punk can be done without a) the big role that women have played in it, which usually gets ignored (Zillah Minx's film 'She's A Punk Rocker' goes some way to address this and b) Crass being involved. They were incredibly important and don't get enough credit, in my humble opinion. Looking forward to the series, though.
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

May 26, 2012, 23:30
Had the pleasure of seeing TV Smith play a solo show a short while ago.
We had a brilliant night. Thoroughly recommended.

There's a short interview with Jools Holland here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/showcase/clips/p00t3tqb/in/genre/rockandindie

:o)
Incoming Traveller
Incoming Traveller
218 posts

And on Friday 8th June...
May 31, 2012, 09:12
After Punk Brittania episode 2 and Punk At The BBC (I think), there's a documentary about Poly Styrene, who left us just over a year ago. Really, really pleased to see that she's being acknowledged.

The series hasn't started yet, but it's shaping up to be potentially very good.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: And on Friday 8th June...
May 31, 2012, 10:26
That's probably the documentary from around '78 or '79 isn't it?
'Who Is Poly Styrene?'
Pretty interesting show that, I got it as a d/ld a while back.
Incoming Traveller
Incoming Traveller
218 posts

Re: And on Friday 8th June...
May 31, 2012, 10:54
That's the one. Though if it's that old, an update might be helpful.
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index