BBC4 Friday 1st June : "Punk Britannia" & "We Who Wait: TV Smith & the Adverts"

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Re: BBC4 Friday 15th JUne Post-punk
Jun 17, 2012, 12:22
I liked it...though the state of MES and the current quite boring sounding PIL didn't do much for me. It looks like they filmed PIL and The Pop Group - they should have done some more post-punk sorts who are making current records (Wire, The Fall, Carter/Tutti, Viv Albertine, Wobble/Levene, Killing Joke, Magazine, Jerry Dammers Arkestra thing etc - how much would it have cost to film a few bands play some songs?).

John Lydon gave good interview, though Mark Stewart was the star and nice bits featured Bobby Gillespie (liked his point about Dexys-Pogues-Specials), Dammers, Viv Albertine (briefly), Cosey Fanni Tutti (briefly), Daniel Miller etc. Newman & Lewis were fun too - this did make me think Post-Punk Brittania would have been an interesting series in itself.

New Pop was hardly touched upon and dismissed as pop (or that's how it felt) and could they not get an interview with Green Gartside?

I liked Mark Stewart's ironic dig at some fat sort on BBC4 telling you about the past too...

BBC4 is getting too retro and while this year I've been unpacking boxes of stuff and rediscovering the joys of the back-catalogue/not thinking much of new stuff, I'm wondering if I should make a resolution and only listen to/buy new stuff to avoid becoming a look-back bore?

Thought the reformed version of The Pop Group sounded great - can't wait for the new record and a tour...

I guess BBC4 should do something on Psychedelia, the genre that never goes away and one episode should focus on British acts from the late 70s onwards who embraced it: The Teardrops, The Stranglers, the Bunnymen, Psychic TV, Dukes of Stratosphear etc....
Incoming Traveller
Incoming Traveller
218 posts

Jun 17, 2012, 12:48
Haven't seen the last episode but have been impressed with much of the first two. I suppose it's inevitable that some people get overlooked/missed out, but it's always a shame when it happens and doesn't provide a complete picture. I'm happy to say that radio 2's 'England's Still Dreaming' tomorrow at 10pm includes the likes of Crass - along with GBH and The Exploited (who I think I nearly auditioned for many years ago, but that's another story!) and the Oi boys. Interesting thought!

As for not playing old stuff and sticking to the present; I understand the point and try not to overdo it (tho' I still can't stop listening to Coil) but there's a couple of boxes of vinyl I've got that I hadn't heard for decades until I found them on YouTube. These early influences are very important and musn't be forgotten. But one has to face forward.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 17, 2012, 19:03
Jun 17, 2012, 19:00
keith a wrote:
Agreed. I always preferred the Liverpool scene to the Manchester one, and it seems in danger of being airbrushed out of history.

There was a Liverpool punk scene? Big In Japan I remember. Deaf School were good but not punk. Was there more of significance that I should hear?
keith a
9574 posts

Jun 17, 2012, 19:47
I meant the post-punk scene, Ian. The Teardrops in '79 were pretty much as good as it gets AFAIC. And Zoo is still one of my fave ever labels.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Jun 17, 2012, 20:46
Jun 17, 2012, 20:04
...MES has been like that for years. Actually thought he was pretty together and pleasant on the doc.

Thought the Cabs, TG and some of the industrial type stuff could have been featured.
Thing is there was only an hour to fill - so much stuff that could have been featured. Crass, for instance, need a doc to themselves. It was like surfing tv stations.
Could have mentioned the 'punks not dead' scene a bit more - GBH, Exploited, Vice Squad, Anti Pasti, Chron Gen etc rather than resign it to the dustbin with the statement about punks tramping out with dogs on string. ...but that's BBC4 for you!

Mark stewart likes his fig rolls.

Not bothered about new pop not being featured - who cares?
As for BBC 4 getting too retro - well it was a programme about music from the past and I'm sure we all like a bit of retro otherwise the interest for making the programme wouldn't have been there.

Could have done without the gang of 4 - never liked them but just personal taste really. Agreed with Bushell on that one which is probably the only time I've agreed with someone from Noels house party.

Good idea about a programme about british psych in the late 70s - then the liverpool bands would fit into that. Can't think of any of the late 70s/ early 80s liverpool bands - i.e. bunnymen, wah, teardrops that were forward thinking enough to be on post punk doc - they were all 60s or pop tinged in a way - even early OMD. Maybe dalek i or pink military but guess they were too obscure for the doc.

Didn't get the music or lyrical relevance of orange juice 'rip it up' - liked it at the time but it was a bit later than post punk - don't see any difference between that and curiosity killed the cat.

Overall very entertaining doc and got me popping out today to get the Radio On DVD.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Jun 17, 2012, 21:15
keith a wrote:
I meant the post-punk scene, Ian. The Teardrops in '79 were pretty much as good as it gets AFAIC. And Zoo is still one of my fave ever labels.

Ah gotcha. I liked the TTE singles but preferred the Bunnymen albums. Liked Magazine more than either.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jun 18, 2012, 14:55
I do enjoy these Insert Music Genre Here Brittania progs but I invariably come away thinking, "Yeah, but where was...?"
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Jun 18, 2012, 15:02
Moon Cat wrote:
I do enjoy these Insert Music Genre Here Brittania progs but I invariably come away thinking, "Yeah, but where was...?"

That's inevitable I suppose with a 60 minute slot. I was hoping for some Liverpool post-punk too and that Orange Juice bit bewildered me also. Joy Division always get top-billing on these progs and PIL following Sex Pistols was a revelant segue for the series. Viv Albertine looked remarkably well preserved!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jun 18, 2012, 16:22
I'd like to have seen some Discharge*.

* The band not the bodily fluid. I mean, the docu was good, but it wasn't that good!
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Jun 19, 2012, 10:07
I enjoyed Friday's edition however quite infuriatingly there seemed to be a distinct and gaping Liverpool shaped hole in a programme essentially devoted to the post-punk movement.
I'm not sure why Eric's and Zoo always seem to take a backseat when Factory and Rough Trade have been well documented by the BBC across several other dedicated programmes. The only programme I can remember that featured the Livepool scene was Rock Family Trees but that was in the late 90s.
I dunno, perhaps the Liverpool punk scene was too idiosyncratic to slot neatly into the usual media and cultural perception of the movement as a whole. Perhaps the Livepool scene's love of psychedelia doesn't sit comfortably with the normal preconceptions of what punk stood for.
Either way, good programme but a big fucking glaring ommission (that said the BBC documentary on Krautrock completely missed out the Malcolm Mooney Can lineup).
Time constraints? Ho hum.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index