IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 20, 2012, 16:22
Re: Copedium: info?
Mar 20, 2012, 16:15
necropolist wrote:
Kid Calamity wrote:
But then, 'Punk' was quite a middle class thing, in reality.

with respect..... was it fuck.

Well it was and it wasn't. At least not in London. Outside London I wouldn't know but I don't remember ever seeing punk rock haircuts at football in the late 70s. If you are talking about those half dozen bands and camp followers that started it all off then not many of the musicians were middle class in the strictest sense but they weren't quite Strummer's guttersnipes either. Art school types, bohemians of various backgrounds, musicians looking for a bandwagon, fashionistas, the generation that missed 68 looking for thrills and spills. Then again when you think about how big a band as posh as Genesis were in industrial cities it is never clear cut. Punk was as middle class as New Romantics were and both were a pretty broad church and not unrelated having their roots in Glam. Much broader than Mod, 2Tone NWOBHM and Oi at any rate. Lydon meanwhile is still obsessed with class authenticity. It was a bit quaint hearing him at the Electric Ballroom gig talking about Camden Town as a working class area. Really? Which century was that? There is an area as good as gentrified to all intents and purposes since the early 90s. The Waterstones was always bigger than Woolies. Too long in LA JL!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Mar 20, 2012, 16:46
Mar 20, 2012, 16:18
Fairynuff, though I'd say there was a world of difference between record companies endlessly repackaging and enticing people to buy things they already have than a deluxe version of something no one (as yet) has. Either way I certainly won't be buying the £200 thing either, though books in leather jackets does appeal ;^)

I mean, I know there are people that like to hear the long-lost 154th take of "Love Me Do" but I can't be arsed with that kind of thing meself and a rererereleased album would have to be pretty fucking mega-as in it takes you out, buys you dinner, shags you, washes the the dishes, finds the Higgs - Boson etc - as well as has a few extra tracks to entice me to buy it.

Mind you, there were people queing up for a week to buy the Ipad3. Isn't it less than 2 years since the first one came out? Mental.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 20, 2012, 16:51
Mar 20, 2012, 16:30
I am with you on the core question. These packages and boxes are all about dragging the last bits of money out of the men and women still standing before retirement kicks in and we are all skint. You pays yer money (or not in my case) and takes your choice.

That said when it comes to the value of recorded music overall a £2.50 album in 1975 would cost £17.50 today so a £12 cd is great value by comparison. On the other hand it cost me £3 to see The Who that year (75p to see Rory Gallagher). What price any gig of that stature being anything less than double the equivalent today at £45 plus? Yet people moan more about the cost of recorded music than concert tickets. I don't get it.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Mar 20, 2012, 18:17
Moon Cat wrote:
Fairynuff, though I'd say there was a world of difference between record companies endlessly repackaging and enticing people to buy things they already have than a deluxe version of something no one (as yet) has. Either way I certainly won't be buying the £200 thing either, though books in leather jackets does appeal ;^)

I mean, I know there are people that like to hear the long-lost 154th take of "Love Me Do" but I can't be arsed with that kind of thing meself and a rererereleased album would have to be pretty fucking mega-as in it takes you out, buys you dinner, shags you, washes the the dishes, finds the Higgs - Boson etc - as well as has a few extra tracks to entice me to buy it.

Mind you, there were people queing up for a week to buy the Ipad3. Isn't it less than 2 years since the first one came out? Mental.

I've got bleedin awful cognitive dissonance over this. As the sort of person who can't resist a limited edition (I MIGHT MISS IT!) but also someone who hunts for as many albums/CDs as I can get for my money AND someone who thinks that gigs for just a priviledged few is treading towards rather difficult territory, not to mention a leather jacket-wearing vegetarian, my MIND is a MESS.
keith a
9573 posts

Mar 20, 2012, 18:31
IanB wrote:
I am with you on the core question. These packages and boxes are all about dragging the last bits of money out of the men and women still standing before retirement kicks in and we are all skint. You pays yer money (or not in my case) and takes your choice.

That said when it comes to the value of recorded music overall a £2.50 album in 1975 would cost £17.50 today so a £12 cd is great value by comparison. On the other hand it cost me £3 to see The Who that year (75p to see Rory Gallagher). What price any gig of that stature being anything less than double the equivalent today at £45 plus? Yet people moan more about the cost of recorded music than concert tickets. I don't get it.

I imagine that a lot of people who pay those kind of prices to see those big stars perform in big sheds only go to a few gigs a year and it's more of an event than a gig. This is, however, based on little evidence mind! But yeah, I totally agree. Ticket prices for major acts these days are out of control. But as long as people will pay it, they'll charge it!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 21, 2012, 14:01
Mar 20, 2012, 18:49
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:

I imagine that a lot of people who pay those kind of prices to see those big stars perform in big sheds only go to a few gigs a year and it's more of an event than a gig. This is, however, based on little evidence mind! But yeah, I totally agree. Ticket prices for major acts these days are out of control. But as long as people will pay it, they'll charge it!

I think the sad thing is that these leather clad books will largely end up in the hands of people looking at them as an investment to be cashed in on later via EBay etc. I would love one to leaf through and I have bought more or less everything he has done over the years and associated bits and bobs (barring the cave yelping thing and a couple of other BS off-shoots) but not for £200. Not for £100. £50 you might be talking. For £200 I would probably need a dongle with mp3s of all the albums on it ;-)
Kosmischeboy
Kosmischeboy
664 posts

Mar 20, 2012, 21:08
Don't get me wrong if i felt it was worth it i would quite happily fork out, but it just doesn't seem value for money at all for me, which is what's making me more cynical. The coil boxes for example were fantastic, especially the Colour Sound Oblivion one which was around this price originally.

I'm much more excited about this which has just been announced: http://www.fields-of-the-nephilim.com/RK/Products/CEROMONIES_BOXSET.htm

Which is set at a far more realistic price for what you get ;o)

But maybe i'm missing the point cos i don't think the Book thing is aimed at people like us, we'll buy the book for it's content not for the limited nature of it.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Mar 20, 2012, 21:30
Play.com had it for £130 on pre-order this morning... I was tempted... their price has now gone up to £190. Less so.
landells
landells
680 posts

Mar 20, 2012, 21:44
200 quid for one bloody sausage!

Think I'll just shoplift one from Woolies
AC1
20 posts

Mar 20, 2012, 22:13
NOT SURE IF THIS LINK HAS BEEN POSTED SO FAR???

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/30307220/Copendium-Box-Set-Limited-Signed-Edition/Product.html
searchstring=COPENDIUM&searchsource=0&searchtype=bookall&urlrefer=search&strefer=bookall&searchfilters=s%7bCOPENDIUM%7d%2bc%7b91%7d%2b
Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index