Copedium: info?

Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
MrsSevenrealm
MrsSevenrealm
204 posts

Re: Copedium: info?
Mar 18, 2012, 15:27
I didn't mean the forum, I meant the aotm musings and bits and pieces. Bit late to the party, forgot I posted!!
MrsSevenrealm
MrsSevenrealm
204 posts

Re: Copedium: LTD C/W ticket to JC Event
Mar 18, 2012, 15:30
That takes me back to Cope taking the piss out of Scott Walker who would "lightly entertain you on his Jack Jones for a fee" very naughty, very naughty indeed.
I find it difficult to criticize, but still.
Mr Crowley
Mr Crowley
184 posts

Mar 19, 2012, 19:28
http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/30307220/Copendium-Box-Set-Limited-Signed-Edition/Product.html?searchstring=julian+cope&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Mar 19, 2012, 19:53
Shame they're not offering an installment plan...
MrsSevenrealm
MrsSevenrealm
204 posts

Mar 20, 2012, 08:15
Oh yeah. First month free, no deposit.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 20, 2012, 09:31
Mar 20, 2012, 09:27
Moon Cat wrote:
Seems common practice these days - do a limited super-twiddly edition for those wot can afford it but a regular version will be out for those wot can't. A few rock biogs and so on have come out like this of late.

It's like the Floyd and LAGWAFIS boxes or those gigs where you pay £150 to be in the audience for a DVD taping. Seems to be the way for artists who are reaching (or are past) retirement age and whose core audience are dwindling through enfeeblement or being in some way "more selective" about their fandom. I would lay good money that most of these are snapped up by collectors and that they will be dribbled out on EBay over time. A show of hands here might move 100 at that price when you include fully cloaked lurkers. I would have thought that would be tops.

In any case I do most of my reading in the bath. Wouldn't want water apots on the literary upholstery!
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Mar 20, 2012, 11:37
Squid Tempest wrote:
Elitest?

Being the awful collector of things limited that I am (I just can't resist something if it is likely to disappear off the shelves anytime soon) I'm really tempted, but somehow this just doesn't chime right with all the recent revolutionary stuff - or is it just me?

Maybe he's going to get all the rich fans into the gig and then do a Robin Hood thang...

You’re absolutely right, Squid, it sits most oddly indeed. One moment proclaiming that all those overpaid scumbags deserve a neckshot, the next offering them a special gig!
Ooh, unless the plan for the gig is to…..it has promised to be a ‘spectacular’….. maybe I’ll rethink making that purchase after all.

The gig thing is cleverish idea from the publishers (and I assume it was their idea), it means the resale value of the book is massively diminished, as a significant component of it wont be available for ebayers., so it wont shoot up in price like other special editions. Tho, actually, why Faber should be arsed about that, once they’ve already sold out, I dunno.
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

for those without a spare kidney....
Mar 20, 2012, 11:42
Hardback economy edition up for pre-order at Amazon. 30 English pounds, 700-odd pages, November publication date. That's my xmass sorted, unless I win the pools. Bet he does a few readings round the country and the cds appear online somewhere too!
Kosmischeboy
Kosmischeboy
664 posts

Mar 20, 2012, 13:05
Spend it on synths Squid. You know it makes sense.

I feel very cynical about this still. £200 for a limited edition just smacks of Greedhead mentality to me.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Mar 20, 2012, 13:27
Mar 20, 2012, 13:22
I don't know. If you had £200 to spare would you feel the same? I mean I'm not happy about it, but I don't really regard it as Cope capitulating to The Man either.
Popstars n Rockstars that spout off about "things" are almost certainly destined to come off as hypocritical at some point, especially if they've made a bit of dosh in their careers. I'm not saying that such things should be above criticism, but I think, as a punter and fan, you have to make peace with a certain amount of what may be percieved as bullshit from artists (see also actors, Artists etc) or be condemned to an ascetic life of denial because so-and-so doesn't measure up. If so, good luck I say.

I think this ltd edition thing is just following in the Cope tradition of presenting things in a nice way. You can tell -and it's something I'm personally glad of - that Cope puts a lot of thought into how releases (and books et al) look. I think he comes from the perspective of being a bit of a nerdy collector himself, with an eye for an aesthtically pleasing 'thing'.

And how many people have shelled out for a super-deluxe release of something they've ALREADY GOT, let alone for a stand alone item?

Loads of artists admired on HH do limited vinyl and coloured releases and the like. It's not at all 'necessary', it's just a nice option for the die hards and must-haves. I can't afford 99% of these things but I can't honestly deny that I'd covet them or begrudge anyone that can afford 'em (Bastards, I HATE you!).

I mean, who amongst the people that release things here wouldn't quite like the option of an all-singing, all dancing, bells n whistles hand painted, carved from amythyst and delivered by fire-angels version of one of their albums?
Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index