Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 March 2012 CE

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9574 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 March 2012 CE
Mar 04, 2012, 23:26
Modern Music – Be Bop Deluxe
Some good moments here – I particularly enjoyed hearing Kiss In Light again.

Psychedelic Revolution – Julian Cope
I played this once or twice when I first got it but then kinda avoided playing it further for a few weeks whilst all the big discussion were going down here. I think subconsciously that I didn’t want to be too influenced by all thoughts and opinions. But anyway, after hearing it again I like it – not sure how much I’m gonna end up rating it but the signs are good despite the, er, odd lyrical reservation.

Lost Souls – Doves
I've loved hearing this one again – a genuinely great LP IMO. Not sure they ever bettered this tbh.

The Infotainment Scan / Middle Class Revolt – The Fall
Neither are their best by any means, but as always there are tracks well worth hearing. I didn’t even remember It’s A Curse on the former, but it’s great!

Six – Mansun
It’s all over the shop, but you have to admire their ambition! I've also played their earlier Wide Open Space single loads this past week – what a fab pop song, with lots of interesting little bits going on in the background with the guitars and vocals.

Dead Cities, Red Seas, Lost Ghosts – M83
I think this was the 3rd week on the trot I've played this. I don’t know why I haven’t checked anything else by this fella, because I rate this electronic pop highly. Mournful is a word that tends to spring to mind! And one track, Gone, is one of my fave tracks of the past ten years.

Estefonia The Great EP – My Laundry Life
The first track on this is brilliant – it’s lovely melodic pop song pitched roughly somewhere between The Boy With The Thorn In His Side and Driving Away From Home.

Revolution EP – Retribution Gospel Choir
New material available as free download from the official website.

Playlist November 2006 – V/A
Old Uncut cd with a nifty track from Dan Sartain, the aforementioned Wide Open Space and a live version of Rescue by the Bunnymen with lots of Doorsy organ on it. I like this song a lot apart from the chorus which has always sounded a bit limp to my ears. I've always liked the “Is the blues I’m singing?” bit at the end, and I still do but it does a bit daft now, because no, it isn’t the blues, Ian. It’s early 80’s alternative pop sung by a Scouse bloke with a funny haircut and being a bit on the short-sighted side doesn’t make you Blind Lemon McCulloch. Still, it's an enjoyable version all the same!

Also...
Ass – Badfinger
Green River - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Giraffe - Echoboy
Spunk – Sex Pistols
Now & Then – The Who

Plus Live stuff by The Doors and Michael Rother, an old Radio session from The Kinks and a few old Moby singles.
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Mar 05, 2012, 05:26
Hymnem, Telemusik, Sirius, Spiral I - II, Zyklus, Pole, Japan, Wach - Karlheinz Stockhausen
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Mar 05, 2012, 08:48
keith a wrote:

Playlist November 2006 – V/A
Old Uncut cd with a nifty track from Dan Sartain, the aforementioned Wide Open Space and a live version of Rescue by the Bunnymen with lots of Doorsy organ on it. I like this song a lot apart from the chorus which has always sounded a bit limp to my ears. I've always liked the “Is the blues I’m singing?” bit at the end, and I still do but it does a bit daft now, because no, it isn’t the blues, Ian. It’s early 80’s alternative pop sung by a Scouse bloke with a funny haircut and being a bit on the short-sighted side doesn’t make you Blind Lemon McCulloch. Still, it's an enjoyable version all the same!

Just wondering if Doorsy organ on the EATB song would be literal since Ray Manzarek recorded with them at one point.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Mar 05, 2012, 12:03
The Doctors of Madness- Late Night Movies, All Night Brainstorms

Talk Talk- It's My Life

Alpha Stone- Elasticated Waveband

Black Tempest- Supernormal Recordings

The Monkees- Headquarters

Crazyhead- Desert Orchid

The Who- Who's Next

Vernon Elliot- Ivor the Engine / Pogles Wood OST
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Mar 05, 2012, 12:09
beltaneboy wrote:
I agree - he's a real one-off! Gutted I missed his gig at Salisbury a couple years ago, was ill and had to give my ticket away. Can't believe they haven't re-issued his 'ten years in an open necked shirt' book yet - it sells for such silly prices online for old knackered copies.

I picked up a nice second-hand copy quite recently for three quid in a Brighton flea market. Kepp your eyes peeled!
veneta1
223 posts

Mar 05, 2012, 12:34
Sylvester Anfang II - Sylvester Anfang II
Sylvester Anfang II - Untitled (Latitudes)
Sylvester Anfang II - Perzische Tabijten
Kodiak/Nadja - Split LP
Circle - Raunio
Mushroom - Naked, Stoned & Stabbed
Michael Chapman - The Resurrection and Revenge of the Clayton Peacock
Tlaotlon - Squirt Image Flex
White Hills - Frying On This Rock
veneta1
223 posts

Mar 05, 2012, 12:42
>Roky Erickson & The Aliens - S/T (Five Symbols)<

Superb album, absolutely abysmal packaging if you're referring to the new version put out by Mojo.

I don't mind Mojo using their free cover mounted CDs to act as promos for their increasingly redundant magazine, that's what they're there for, but I object to paying good money for a stand alone CD and have the packaging covered in adverts for the mag. I haven't counted the number of times the word 'Mojo' appears in the booklet and on the sleeve but it must be in the region of 15 - 20. It looks cheap and nasty and I'd hesitate before buying others in their 'Buried Treasure' series.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Mar 05, 2012, 13:13
Mar 05, 2012, 12:53
Hail!

El Doom & The Born Electric - S/T. Unbelievably bloody great!! A scando-prog metal pile-up where Mastodon & Opeth crash into VDGG style idiosyncratic vocals and arrangements, occasional pumping Heep hammond and 70's prog meets 21st century metal to form a truly fantastic hybrid beast of extreme awesomeness with a sniff of Zappa style absurdity on the side. For prog-metal & 70's rock enthusiasts I cannot recommend this enough. Bit early for albums of the year and all that but this RULES! Also features the lyric "...born out of a colostomy bag" as a selling point!

Element - Corrupt Desire. This too is excellent. Metallica worship melds with almost Floydian and/or post-rock soundscapes to great effect. Thrash-prog! Like it lots!

Liquid Graveyard - The 5th time I die.
Julian Cope - Psychedelic Revolution.

School of Seven Bells - Disconnect From Desire. Like these a lot, although I gather they are now down a duo, which is a shame cos they're gonna miss those wispy and ethereal harmonies from the 2 sisters.

The Chasms - Alchemical Postcards. (Thanks for nod Squid! Just nabbed the other stuff too!) Noisy but nice. Funny thing is, track 3, which is the most like a conventional song, was really bugging me with what I thought it sounded like. Then the penny dropped and the vocals remind me of Franz Ferdinand but doing noise/space rock.

Have a nice week x
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Mar 05, 2012, 13:19
veneta1 wrote:
Sylvester Anfang II - Sylvester Anfang II
Sylvester Anfang II - Untitled (Latitudes)
Sylvester Anfang II - Perzische Tabijten
Kodiak/Nadja - Split LP
Circle - Raunio
Mushroom - Naked, Stoned & Stabbed
Michael Chapman - The Resurrection and Revenge of the Clayton Peacock
Tlaotlon - Squirt Image Flex
White Hills - Frying On This Rock

Any thoughts on Perzische Tabijten & the Tlaotlon LPs? I'm very tempted by those.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Mar 05, 2012, 13:21
I bloody love Alchemical Postcards.
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index