Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 December 2011 CE

41 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 December 2011 CE
Dec 04, 2011, 23:27
Dark Country Magic – Big Blood
This is really good. She-Wanderer, which I posted a link to elsewhere here recently, is the track I enjoyed hearing most this past week.

Ersatz GB – The Fall
Only played it once thus far, but sounding promising.

NY Muscle – Hell
The beats can get a bit hard going if you’re not in the mood, but Alan Vega is on pretty good form on a couple of tracks. Billie Ray Martin features, too.

No Thyself – Magazine
Shaping up nicely! Final Analysis Waltz sounding pretty damn fine.

Fundamental / Fundamentalism - Pet Shop Boys
Not their finest but I enjoyed hearing this one again.

Corner of the World – Solus 3
Hami and Ian B are fast becoming the UK’s very own Sly & Robbie!

Rabbit Moon Revisited – Tarwater
Inside The Ships – Tarwater

Inside The Ships is another I've only heard the once so far. I dug RMR out afterwards, too. Not my fave of theirs but still really impressive.

Also lots of compilations...
All Africa Radio (NME)
Blow-Up UK (NME)
Bush Fire (NME)

Blimey. I hadn’t heard these in a long time! The jazzy Blow-Up compilation is not really my cup of tea TBH, although I really like the Working Week track. AAR isn’t bad at all, but it’s Bush Fire that really shines for me. Really good reggae compilation.

Fast Product-Mutant Pop 78~79 (1980)
Another I hadn’t heard in ages. The Mekons, Human League, Scars, etc. Good to hear the like of Where Were You and Circus Of Death again!

Mojo Music Guide Vol. 1 - Instant Garage
Mojo Music Guide Vol. 2 - Roots Of Hip Hop
Mojo Music Guide Vol. 3 - Raw Soul
Mojo Music Guide Vol. 4 - Blues Power

These cd’s came with Mojo circa 2003-04 and are really compilations with the Garage one being my fave – it’s always good to hear Gil Bateman’s My Daddy Walked In Darkness. The hip-hop one is perhaps a little more patchy than the others but still has its moments.

Also spent a bit of time listening to a couple each of my fave podcasts whilst doing some tidying. In My Room from a fellow Wire fan from the USA...
http://inmyroom.podbean.com/2011/11/24/black-friday-rock/

and Fat Latch from a fellow Wire fan over here... Anyone sensing a theme here? ; )
http://www.mixcloud.com/fatlatch/fat-latch-25/

I also listened to some old Kosmik Radiation shows, too. I particularly enjoyed the Beefheart one from earlier this year but also played the Royal Scam and the 2005 Zappa one’s. Enjoyed a lot of these, too, with the odd exception such as the Zappa and the more proggy stuff – and there was one track - Snoose Junction I think – that I thought would never end! I've only got a passing knowledge of FZ and haven’t really heard much for some time but hearing it now...well it sounds like something you might like when you’re 16 but that you really, really need to grow out of! But hats off, Dave. You helped making that tidying a less arduous task!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index