41 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Dec 05, 2011, 20:53
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 December 2011 CE
Dec 04, 2011, 14:15
Solus 3 - Corner of the World
Arrived yesterday morning and it's marvellously eerie urban ambience is currently permeating my living room as I type. Not quite sure what musical bag to put it in - which is always a quality that guarantees repeated listens from me nowadays - although I can hear elements of trip-hop, jazz, dub, and some modern classical music. Noetheless, it's definitely to their credit that all these influences seem to merge seamlessly without ever sounding like a join-the-dots exercise in contrived eclecticism.

Emitt Rhodes - Fresh as a Daisy (The Best of the Dunhill Years)
Former Merry-Go-Round bandleader turns one-man studio auteur in the vein of Paul McCartney's first two solo albums or Todd Rundgren's Runt, only with less of an over-eagerness to show how much he can do and better songwriting than either, at least on the early stuff. Seems he stopped performing for thirty years after losing a subatsntial amount of money fighting a lagal battle against a record company that sued him for not delivering an album every six months. Just goes to emphasise the importance of always reading the small print before signing.

White Denim - Last Day of Summer
Not getting this at all so far. Evidently another of those bands championed by the likes of Uncut magazine who think that music just stopped after 1975, despite the fact that the members were probably barely out of nappies by that time. Nostalgia just ain't what it used to be. I'll give this two or three three more listens and if it still does nothing for me it's going on my trade pile.

Disco Inferno - The Five E.P.s
Tis heartwarming to see a band whom I saw getting heckled and ridiculed as "pretentious fat bastards with computers" (by the members of their utterly shite support band) back in the day finally getting their due acknowledgement, even if it is 20 years too late. I think the time is ripe for someone to write a "Postrocksampler". If anyone fancies giving me a publishing deal...

The Golden Dawn - A Power Plant
Magnificent, classic Texas psych, and definitely not mere Elevators knock-offs - a misperception that was only caused by International Artists holdiong up its release so that they could put out "Easter Eveywhere" first
(even though it was recorded afterwards). Maybe this will one day get the deluxe edition mono/stereo treatment that IA are currently lavishing on the Elevators and the Red Crayola.

Also mentioned in dispatches:
Camper Van Beethoven - II and III
Tortoise - Standards
The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request (mono edition bootleg)
Shelagh Mc Donald - Let No Man Steal Your Thyme
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index