Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 December 2011 CE
Dec 04, 2011, 21:57
Bert Jansch- Jack Orion

Bert Jansch- Birthday Blues

Bert Jansch- LA Turnaround

Luke Haines- Nine and a half Psychedelic Meditations on British Wrestling in the 1970s

Should- A Folding Sieve

Deardarkhead- Oceanside 1991-93 -those last two being reissues of obscure US shoegaze albums, pretty good if you like that sort of thing.

Devo- Freedom of Choice

B-Movie- Remembrance Days

Play Dead- First Flower

Party Day- Glasshouse

Party Day- Simplicity - two albums by a Barnsley-based post-punk / gothic outfit from the early-mid 80s who slipped through the net at the time: some pretty good stuff actually, sounding like a cross between Cure / Chameleons and The Mighty Wah, before descending into early Killing Joke territory.

Leo Ferre- Ete 68

Leo Ferre- Amour Anarchie - anyone? French chansonnier who began his career in the 30s/40s, was friends with Piaf and Andre Breton, a poet and committed anarchist who was nevertheless successful enough to buy his own private island, where he lived with a houseful of chimpanzees. By the late 60s he was aligning himself with the youth revolt, the beatniks and the hippies, was hanging out with the Moody Blues and namechecking them in song, and on the truly strange 'Amour Anarchie' (from 1970) he's backed on two tracks by French prog band Zoo, who lend a Gainsbourgian ambience to his always impassioned rants and croons. This is all I know about this guy, and even that may be wrong, but I found these albums in a charity shop and they're great, if you like that kind of Scott Walker / Jacques Brel melodrama.

Green on Red- The Killer Inside of Me

Jack Frost (Steve Kilbey of The Church with Grant Mclennan of the Go-Betweens, in 1991)- S/T

Spacemen 3- Recurring

Richard and Linda Thompson- Pour Down Like Silver

Boy Friend- Egyptian Wrinkle -out next year- Cocteaus-esque dream pop / chillwave courtesy of two young girls from Texas. Nice.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index